1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun

Started by Ramba, March 28, 2019, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramba

It took me 4.5 hours just to do the trousers. Roughly used only a 35mm x 35mm square so plenty decals left over to do other figures. I still have the arms to do but they are a lot smaller. Will let the decals cure overnight then give it a gloss coat over them and then a light wash to bring out the pockets and creases. The vest, ammo pouches, gloves, and boots will be painted coyote tan so no camo decals for the torso. The helmet and knee pads I think should be khaki.

It is a very long and tedious job applying the decals. I applied thin strips along the edges of where the seams would be on the trousers but the MARPAT is so fine that the seams just blended right in. Hoping a light wash will bring out some of the creases.

Old Wombat

Really good job there, Ramba! :thumbsup:

Gives me a little confidence with tackling my own.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 13, 2019, 03:19:32 AM

Indeed  :thumbsup:

They've come out far better than I thought they would. Well done indeed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW you've far more patience then I have  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ramba

Gives me a little confidence with tackling my own.

Thanks! You should give it a try. The results are well worth it even though it takes a long time.

Ramba

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 13, 2019, 06:06:50 AM

Indeed  :thumbsup:

They've come out far better than I thought they would. Well done indeed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW you've far more patience then I have  ;D

Thanks! Yes, it does take a lot of patience to do but well worth it.

Ramba

Finally started decaling the minigunner. I used the Cross Delta multicam decals and the same process as I did with the MARPAT. This one still took as long as the first one. I hope with more experience I will be able to do the others a little quicker. I still have the helmet, arms and collar to decal.

The two side by side for camo comparison.

Ramba

Decaled the helmet, collar and lower rear part of the ammo backpack vest. I still have to paint the vest and pouches and touch up some of the khaki that rubbed off. I also still have to decal the arms.

Ramba

Decals are done on the minigunner. The arms alone took me another two hours. Total time to decal one figure entirely was roughly eight hours.

I added the NVG and radio antenna. All left to do is wash/weather it, flat coat it and add the ammo feed belt.

Old Wombat

Damn! Long process! I'll set aside a week to do mine. :P
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Ramba

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 16, 2019, 06:15:05 AM

A week sounds good hahahaha! It took me 8 hours between 3 days and that was mostly just the decals. Moving on to the next soon and will wash/weather both at the same time.

NARSES2

Quote from: Ramba on June 16, 2019, 06:19:00 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 16, 2019, 06:15:05 AM

A week sounds good hahahaha! It took me 8 hours between 3 days and that was mostly just the decals. Moving on to the next soon and will wash/weather both at the same time.

That really has come out well  :thumbsup: I would never have thought that was possible with decals. You learn something new every day  :thumbsup: :
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ramba

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 16, 2019, 06:43:00 AM
That really has come out well  :thumbsup: I would never have thought that was possible with decals. You learn something new every day  :thumbsup: :

Thanks! The decals lay down nicely with an application of Micro Sol. Just be patient while the Micro Sol softens up the decals. I used small strips of decals for ease of conforming to the creases/folds and curves.

NARSES2

nighthunter

Looks fantastic, though 1 gripe: belt loops didn't get decals.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*