BLOODY superglue!

Started by PR19_Kit, April 09, 2019, 01:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

So help me, I'm NEVER going to buy a large bottle of superglue ever again!  :banghead: :banghead:

Every time the lid gets bonded onto the bottle with over 50% of the glue still in the bottle, and totally un-get-atable! It wouldn't be so bad but they're invariably described as the best value and best quality and with unbondable lids, and yet they STILL bond onto the bottle. :(

It's much more economical to buy they cheaper, smaller and lower quality tubes that you just throw away when the lid bonds in place and the amount of unused glue is relatively small.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ed S

I've come to the same conclusion about the stuff. Buy little tubes of the cheap stuff. 
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Rheged

I agree with the pair of you.  Lots of small, cheap tubes seems to be the only way to go.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Yes indeed, and if I may make a rather bold ststement, "Super Glue" appears to have a deffinite shelf life! In other words it does not last long after it has been opened for the first time.
I believe that this is because as soon as it has been used for the first time a little bit of moisture sneaks into the main container and that starts the whole cureing process. So smaller tubes is definitely the way to go.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

I bought three 50 gram bottles at Telford, one slow cure, one medium cure and one fast cure. All three now have fully bonded caps, and I've never even opened the fast cure and slow cure ones! I've half a mind to seek out the vendor and demand my money back.

It says 'up to 7 years shelf life' on the bottles, which is true, 4 months IS 'up to 7 years'............  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yeah, I'm in total agreement with the comments here. The amount of Super Glue I've wasted ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

I buy the small tubes because I just don't use it that fast. I've had many tubes harden up on me until I started storing them with the tips pointing up. It seems to keep glue out of the tip so it doesn't harden and bond the cap on. It will still harden eventually but lasts longer than before.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Hobbes

I use Bison Tipper glue:

I've been buying these for 10 years, and I've used up the entire bottle on each of them. That takes me about 1-1.5 years.
The handles allow you to dose the glue exactly: no great big gobs when all you need is a tiny drop.

And to prevent the cap from bonding, I wipe off the outside of the nozzle after each use.

PR19_Kit

I've never seen that Bison glue in the UK Harro, but there's a Loctite gel glue that comes in the same dispenser as the Bison stuff, and that works very well. In fact I was using it y'day just because I couldn't get the cap off the Deluxe glue!

I tend to agree with Jim about shelf life unless I keep it in the fridge, but it's a right pain going up and down stairs all day just for that!

As for keeping it point up and wiping the nozzle each time, I do that anyway.

But the caps STILL get bonded!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Had the same problems until I started to buy my superglue in the Pound Shop

3 smallish bottles (used to be 4) for a £1, obviously, in their DIY section. It is on the thin side of the spectrum and works very well. If I have a problem with the tip clogging then I just slice the end off, it's a nice long one. Normally I get about 90/95% usage ? Hard to say as when you get to the bottom it can take an age to come out so you move on  :rolleyes:

Excellent value and thoroughly recommended  :thumbsup:

I can also recommend the Loctite Gel dispenser.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dumaniac

I purchase the 8 little tubes for $2 in the cheap shop. I have a rag that I wipe the nozzle on and the lids do not glue together. Cheap is best.  Bernie

Old Wombat

It'd be great if I could find the bl@@d^ Loctite grip dispenser CA glues (gel & regular) but at the moment I can only find them in tubes & the f^*$!ng lids have bonded multiple times over the last month! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

Just a thought, would a wipe of de-bonder work getting the tops off ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 10, 2019, 06:20:08 AM

Just a thought, would a wipe of de-bonder work getting the tops off ---

I've tried it more than once, but it needs to get way up inside the cap to work properly, and it never has.

Regards
Kit

Nick

Poundland. Half a dozen tubes for £1. Use it once or twice for fixing a pot or Xmas decoration and go back two months later to find the tube solid.

I bought some Zap-a-Gap for £5 once. Used part of a big bottle, put it away and a year later it was set in the bottle. Broke the bottle open and it was like rubber.
Not buying that again.