Rickshaw's Roundup

Started by rickshaw, April 12, 2019, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Use the vacuum cleaner with either a new bag or a nylon stocking over the end of the hose to catch the wayward part.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

OK, today was a day that was finally warm enough to have an interest in modeling.  I repainted the T-54 with a different shade of green and then, 'cause it was gloss, I had to use a matt varnish over the top.  Seems to have worked well.

The M47 is forging ahead.  I made a replacement trailing arm for one of the wheels and it fitted OK.  Then did the return rollers.  What was interesting is that each side has positions for three return rollers but I have an extra two, one each side.  Seems the chassis was one meant for an earlier, M26 tank, which had a set of tensioning rollers between the last roadwheel and the drive sprockets. Oh, well, seems I have a rather large hole to fill now.    :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Winter is officially over now.  My modelling room has lost it's icicle like feel.  I am modelling again.  Officially!  I have glued two pieces of plastic together!  I am still working on the M47 which has been sitting on my modelling table the last two months forlornly.   :banghead:

Work is starting to increase.  I have repainted my T55.  It is now a pleasing shade of green.  I have decided what I will paint the M47 - a different shade of green, less pleasing. 

Thursday, they are forecasting that it will reach 30 degrees!  Yippee!  Summer has returned!  The modelling season can begin!   :thumbsup:

NARSES2

I always think of autumn/winter being the modelling season myself. Doesn't summer get a little warm down there ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Heat promotes the creative juices, Chris.  Heat keeps your joints warm and you don't freeze in place.  Heat means you throw open the windows, slide open the sliding doors, let the fresh, warm air in!  Summer is the season of freshness.  It means the glue dries quickly, the paint dries quickly and you can actually do things, rather than just moan and freeze and huddle 'round the Slow Combustion Stove in the living room!  :thumbsup:

Although I note there have been significant snowfalls across New South Wales the last couple of days at the same time as there have been (unseasonal) bushfires in SE Queensland and Northern NSW.  Ah, Australia, the land of contrasts!    :banghead:

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 16, 2019, 06:30:11 AM
...Doesn't summer get a little warm down there ?

Depends where you are.  It's a big country.  Melbourne summers suit me perfectly with just the occasional run of too hot days.  We are approximately the same distance South of the Equator as Rome is North.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 17, 2019, 03:50:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 16, 2019, 06:30:11 AM
...Doesn't summer get a little warm down there ?

Depends where you are.  It's a big country.  Melbourne summers suit me perfectly with just the occasional run of too hot days.  We are approximately the same distance South of the Equator as Rome is North.

Ah, Rome and the countryside just a little farther north can be almost perfect weather for me  :thumbsup: Mind you I like Sicilly as well providing I've a pool or the beach and a ready waiter  :cheers:

During our record hot temperatures this summer both paint and glue was drying almost before it touched the plastic  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Rome - distance to the equator -  4,660.03 km

Melbourne - distance to the equator -  4,206.07 km

Adelaide - distance to the equator - 3,884.79 km

zenrat

Quote from: zenrat on September 17, 2019, 03:50:51 AM
...We are approximately the same distance South of the Equator as Rome is North.

So what's 400km between friends?
;D

There's also the little matter of a BFO ocean just south of us which might just affect the weather.   ;D

<goes to consult goggle earth>

Athens.  Melbourne is the Southern Hemisphere equivalent of Athens...

...just with more Greeks. ;D
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

rickshaw

I wasn't criticising you, Fred.  I was merely pointing out the facts.   :banghead:

Distance between Athens and Equator is 4,174.58 km.

zenrat

Critique away.  I had never actually measured it.

You made me do some actual research dammit...   :banghead:
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on September 18, 2019, 11:39:42 PM
Rome - distance to the equator -  4,660.03 km

Melbourne - distance to the equator -  4,206.07 km

Yea, but ones uphill and the other is downhill  :angel:

rickshaw

OK, the weather has improved - markedly and the modelling room is no longer icicle in temperature.  Yesterdays SA Model Expo has inspired me!   Back to the M47.  Finished assembling it (more or less, still needs it's tracks down a few holes filled) and started painting it.  Yucky Olive Green.   :( :(

rickshaw

M47 is finished and painted in Olive Drab.

Onto the M60a2!   In fact I'm nearly finished it.  God, I hate turret baskets.  I've had to replace one of the Tamiya rails with some plastruct 'cause I broke the Tamiya one.  What is particularly annoying is that Tamiya decided to print the left basket reversed.   :banghead:

rickshaw

The M60a2 is almost finished.  Just started painting it.   Ghastly green colour.   :banghead: