Yet another RW car build!

Started by PR19_Kit, April 14, 2019, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2019, 04:18:21 AM
Thais was going pretty well, and then............

Having got the main body shell sprayed up in very shiny black paint, I had to paint the rooflining and the interior and the various door posts the pale cream colour that Ford used for the 'leather work'. That went fine so I tested the fit of the floor pan etc. and in the process ended up with the trace of a thumb print on the boot (trunk) lid!  :banghead:

Quite how the lid part hadn't dried when all the rest had I've no idea, but there it is.

Try how I might I can NOT get rid of that thumbprint, I've sanded and sprayed and sanded and sprayed sanded and sprayed till I'm blue in the face (EIGHT coats so far!) but I can still see it.

Anyone any good ideas how to get around this please?

Strip the paint and respray is what I'd recommend...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on April 22, 2019, 04:37:08 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2019, 04:18:21 AM
Thais was going pretty well, and then............

Having got the main body shell sprayed up in very shiny black paint, I had to paint the rooflining and the interior and the various door posts the pale cream colour that Ford used for the 'leather work'. That went fine so I tested the fit of the floor pan etc. and in the process ended up with the trace of a thumb print on the boot (trunk) lid!  :banghead:

Quite how the lid part hadn't dried when all the rest had I've no idea, but there it is.

Try how I might I can NOT get rid of that thumbprint, I've sanded and sprayed and sanded and sprayed sanded and sprayed till I'm blue in the face (EIGHT coats so far!) but I can still see it.

Anyone any good ideas how to get around this please?

Strip the paint and respray is what I'd recommend...   :banghead:

I was hoping to avoid something as radical as that......

Just stripping the boot (trunk...) lid might work if I can limit the area of stripping well enough. Masking and spraying all that interior stuff took an AGE and I really don't want to do it all again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Ah, fingerprints in what was seemingly dry paint.  I feel your pain.
Is it in the clear or in the paint?  If it's in the clear then sometimes you can polish it out.  Heat generated by the polishing process "melts" the clear and smoothes everything out.
Or, let it gas out completely (get on with some other bits in the meantime) and then sand it right back.  If you can do this on just the boot lid area then the respray should hopefully not be too obvious as there is a natural boundary where the panel line gaps are.

However, sometimes you just have to say "f**k it", stamp your feet, break something else and then chuck the whole body into the stripping tank and start again.  Black is a very unforgiving colour so maybe this might be the best approach.  Can you not brush paint the roof liner?  Less masking that way...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2019, 09:55:52 PM

However, sometimes you just have to say "f**k it", stamp your feet, break something else and then chuck the whole body into the stripping tank and start again.  Black is a very unforgiving colour so maybe this might be the best approach.  Can you not brush paint the roof liner?  Less masking that way...

I'm close to that situation now, the body has been tail down in a Tupperware bottle of Dettol all night, the Dettol measured out so it only comes up to the front end of the boot (trunk...) lid. I'll see if it worked in a short while.

Yes, I could have brush painted the roof lining, but once you get into that 'mask-spray-demask' routine it gets habit forming.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The 'Dettol Trick' worked like a charm, the paint literally FELL off!  :thumbsup:

Here's the bodyshell in the Dettol stripping tank. I suspect that the tank's job in life has now irrevocably changed.......  ;)

As seen directly after removal from the stripping tank. The red outline shows where my thumbprint was, and you can just see a trace of it left.

But after a session with an old toothbrush and plenty of water it's totally gone, and so has all the paint, primer as well.

It's left it slightly sticky so I plan to give it a rub over with some thinners before re-priming and re-painting it. Luckily I can mask off on the door panel lines and the rear edge of the roof so there shouldn't be too much of a paint line showing.

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Excuse me, Kit. I had never heard of Dettol. From google it's an entire range of products.
Which is the one you used? Or what's the active component?
thanks
Paolo
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on April 24, 2019, 04:48:42 AM

Excuse me, Kit. I had never heard of Dettol. From google it's an entire range of products.
Which is the one you used? Or what's the active component?
thanks
Paolo

Erm, good question. In the UK it tends to mean their original disinfectant stuff, but I'll have a look on the bottle and see if it says what the constituents are.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

An interesting alternative to Simple Green for stripping paint; though both are now available here, so that's nice.

kitnut617

A bit off-topic but I need to strip the paint off my 1/72 B-36 but without it getting into the interior (I painted it about 20 years ago and the silver still hasn't dried properly, every time I pick it up there's more finger prints on it), what would you suggest there Kit ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I had know idea Dettol would do that  :blink: and to think it's my regular disinfectant and has been applied to many a part  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 24, 2019, 06:17:13 AM

A bit off-topic but I need to strip the paint off my 1/72 B-36 but without it getting into the interior (I painted it about 20 years ago and the silver still hasn't dried properly, every time I pick it up there's more finger prints on it), what would you suggest there Kit ?

Good question Robert.

Trying to de-paint JUST the outside could be a real problem, unless you can seal it all up very securely. There used to be some paste that you applied with a wide brush some years ago, but I've not seen that for ages now.

I doubt the Dettol idea wouldn't work as it takes time so brushing or spraying it on wouldn't let it lie on the surface long enough.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 24, 2019, 06:27:36 AM

I had know idea Dettol would do that  :blink: and to think it's my regular disinfectant and has been applied to many a part  :o

Nor did I Chris. My railway modelling buddie suggested it as he'd 'heard it from a friend' etc. and both the friend and he were dead right.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2019, 07:40:16 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on April 24, 2019, 06:17:13 AM

Good question Robert.

Trying to de-paint JUST the outside could be a real problem, unless you can seal it all up very securely. There used to be some paste that you applied with a wide brush some years ago, but I've not seen that for ages now.

I doubt the Dettol idea wouldn't work as it takes time so brushing or spraying it on wouldn't let it lie on the surface long enough.

Thanks Kit, I bought a long time ago some pots of ModelStrip, got it from Hannants I think. I've not used it because try as I might, I've not found any reviews on the stuff. Not sure if it will even work now I've had them so long.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

It looks like the main ingredient in Dettol is Chloroxylenol 4.8% w/v and it also contains Pine oil, Isopropyl Alcohol,  Castor Oil, Caustic Soda Solution (:o), Caramel and water.

It says 'DO NOT USE UNDILUTED', which I did of course.....

But then it also says 'Read the package leaflet before use' except it wasn't in a package, it's just a bottle.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Thanks, Kit.Now I know whattolook for.
I have a suspicion that the caustic soda is the helpful ingredient in this case, maybe helped by the chloroxilenol.
But I would not like to use a caustic soda solution as di  :osinfectant on my body...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.