1/35 Motorbike Riders

Started by Mossie, May 11, 2019, 04:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I've got an idea for a dieselpunk project that would need a civilian motorbike rider. Does anybody know of any in 1/35 (1/32 or 54mm would work too).  I'm looking for 30's-60's time frame.

Another possibility is military riders that are in clothing that is not overtly military, I've found a few sets like that but they tend to be either expensive or have extraneous straps and stuff.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

The old Tamiya BMW R75 and Sidecar set had a multipose driver figure.
The uniform jacket could be reworked and painted to look like a tweed or leather jacket, the Wehrmacht helmet was separate to the riders head so you could find a new helmet or go crazy with putty to fashion a new style of headgear.

Mossie

I'd discounted most German sets as they just scream German uniform to me.  That's one set I hadn't considered though as it's oop but should still be easy to find, I'll have a look at it.

There's another Tamiya German set I like, the motorcycle orderly set.  The rider has a loose overall, if a little baggy.  The BSA M20 has a rider that could very easily pass for a civy except for moulded in straps.  There's a Minicraft set with a US rider pushing a bike, although it's steeply priced.

I might be a bit picky.  I've got an idea in my head and I'd like it to be simple, but I'm kidding myself I think.  One option is to modify some Airfix Multipose I have, I'm not certain I could pull it off though.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Tamiya did JGSDF riders on modern dirt bikes.

The riders helmet fits the end of your time period (goggles are a bit modern though) and if painted correctly the jacket would look like Belstaff style wax cotton ring jacket (correct for any time period).  The combat pants are possibly wrong for a civilian though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Thanks Fred, that might be of use.  I've got some 1/32 US WWII helmets that I could shape into an earlier helmet, providing they don't drown the 1/35 head.

I've found this guy though, although I'd hate to separate him from his ride.  Comes with several head and gun styles, more pics in the feedback section.  Looks okay to me,  can you cast your biker's eye over the uniform?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32958557456.html?pid=808_0000_0109&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32958557456&aff_trace_key=9544210a1e5b4ae985eda6eb28d4f688-1557602214370-08585-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=5194amp-kd8t6wkJjce950z82SS7Rg1557610314504

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2019, 07:02:36 PM
Tamiya did JGSDF riders on modern dirt bikes.

The riders helmet fits the end of your time period (goggles are a bit modern though) and if painted correctly the jacket would look like Belstaff style wax cotton ring jacket (correct for any time period).  The combat pants are possibly wrong for a civilian though.

I have one of those sets in the stash - I'll take some photo's of the contents tomorrow & put them up for you to look at, Mossie!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Thank you, most appreciated! :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

You would still have to lose the webbing straps, though...
The trousers could pass for cargo pants, though that's a bit out of your desired time-frame. You could shave off the extra pockets? And resculpt the cuffs so they're hanging free, not 'bloused'.

Bottom line, I think you're going to have to do a little bit of resculpting, whatever you choose.  :-\

Mossie

Unless I could perform a body swap with the other guy in the set, which would need some chopping.  I think you're right, I'll need to do some resculpting.

The only possibility I can find is the figure in the link I provided.  The French WWI helmet in the set might also provide the civvy helmet, with the rim and badges trimmed off.

zenrat

Quote from: Mossie on May 12, 2019, 07:18:23 AM
Thanks Fred, that might be of use.  I've got some 1/32 US WWII helmets that I could shape into an earlier helmet, providing they don't drown the 1/35 head.

I've found this guy though, although I'd hate to separate him from his ride.  Comes with several head and gun styles, more pics in the feedback section.  Looks okay to me,  can you cast your biker's eye over the uniform?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32958557456.html?pid=808_0000_0109&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32958557456&aff_trace_key=9544210a1e5b4ae985eda6eb28d4f688-1557602214370-08585-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=5194amp-kd8t6wkJjce950z82SS7Rg1557610314504

With a head change that could work for the earlier end of your timescale.  People used to wear all sorts of riding gear back then so gaiters and gauntlets wouldn't be out of place.  maybe even the gas mask if riding in London's peas supers...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Thanks Robert, I'm after a seated rider, although a standing one might work.

This is a the kind of dilemma I have, found something perfect but it comes with a resin bike that's 30 Euros.
http://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/spd/BM3576/Izh-Jupiter-1-35-with-female-dieselpunk-style-figu

Rick Lowe

How about these for the legs? Jeans and boots.

https://www.italeri.com/en/prodotto/826

With different torsos and arms, of course.

Italeri 5618 has 7 figures, 5 of which are in casual dress - could be painted as jeans and shoes - and T-shirts.

And there are also the MAS and E-Boat crews that could have useful bits, too.

HTH

Mossie

Thanks Rick.  It might come to that, I have some 1/32 Airfix multipose sets that could provide a good basis, would mean some serious hacking about.  To be honest it's what I bought them for so I should bite the bullet.

I've enquired with Balaton Modell shop to see if they're willing to sell the female dieselpunk figure separately, hopefully I'll get a reply.  This would fit with the comic book/movie style I've got in my head.

If that doesn't work out, my favourite figure that would require the least modification would be the rider from Tamiya's BSA M20 set.  I'd need to fill the straps and blend the jerkin into the shoulders, but otherwise he's largely good to go.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35316-bsa-m20-motorcycle-w-military-police--133302

Old Wombat

Sorry, Mossie, forgot to get those pictures! :-\

Busy painting (the fernery) all day. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est