Lightnings ... um ... edited

Started by Scotaidh, June 10, 2019, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Shortening would look good with a Concorde wing profile.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

A little more done last night

RWR completed. What is turning out to be the first coat of Duck Egg Blue is on the undersurfaces. It's a bit thin, this paint, so thin and many coats is the way to go, I guess, with a light scrub with steel wool between coats to help with surface smoothness.

Side by each it's easy to see that what was taken from one was added to the other. I'm still undecided as to armament, other than internal cannon - I don't intend to ever unlearn the lessons of Vietnam. I was asked about making the stretch a delta-wing, but I don't think it needs it. Besides, I already have two Delta Lightnings - the Chopped Lightning and the Lightning Dragon. You know what they say about too much of a good thing ...

For those who want to know, the Lightning Dragon can be seen here:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 28, 2019, 06:51:34 AM

Looks remarkably like an XFY-1 Pogo without the prop in that pic.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Finally done with PSR and now to paint.

The Chopped will be an strike aircraft , so it gets an over-all Olive Drab Green over Slate Grey scheme. 

The Stretch will be an interceptor, so it gets the blue on blue scheme. The underside is Duck Egg Blue; the topsides will be a pastiche of darker blues over Pastel Blue.

The main undercarriage (on both) has been moved to allow for under-wing ordnance. ;) Since they're posed in "Flight" mode, you'll have to take my word about that - but it's housed in what used to be the ventral conformal fuel tank.

Note: I was going blind trying to read the labels on the Humbrol tins, so I've made my own. :)

In the foreground are potential weapons for these aircraft. Due to the re-engineering of the undercarriage the under-wing surfaces are now available for ordnance.

The Chop will get more fuel tanks, the usual bombs and rockets, and two Sidewinders for self-protection.

The Stretch will get fuel tanks and an air-to-air missile load-out.

I'm having a "Sidewinder" shortage. I'd really like to have a source for Matra's neat little heat-seekers - heck, anyone's short-range heat-seekers - but, having looked on-line, it looks as if I'd have to buy full kits from Heller. I've no objection to Heller kits, mind - but it's an expensive way to get two missiles.

Anyone got any sources they'd like to share, other than Shapeways?

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Gondor

Which versions of Sidewinders?

Do you want Generic Sidewinders?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Scotaidh

Quote from: Gondor on July 25, 2019, 10:40:40 AM

Gondor

Yes - that'd be fine.  In 1/72 there's not a lot of detail differential.  Wikipedia identifies about 17 countries as having IR missiles - some are just copies of the Sidewinder; others are unique, like the South African A-Darter and V3 Kukri and the Israeli Shafrir and Python series.

Here's their list:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-to-air_missile

63cpe

That looking great Scotaidh! Love them both. :wub: :thumbsup:

David aka 63cpe

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 25, 2019, 10:46:07 AM
Quote from: Gondor on July 25, 2019, 10:40:40 AM

Gondor

Yes - that'd be fine.  In 1/72 there's not a lot of detail differential.  Wikipedia identifies about 17 countries as having IR missiles - some are just copies of the Sidewinder; others are unique, like the South African A-Darter and V3 Kukri and the Israeli Shafrir and Python series.

Here's their list:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-to-air_missile

Send me a Private Message with your address and I will send you a few

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

They are both looking good  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 25, 2019, 09:57:09 AM

Note: I was going blind trying to read the labels on the Humbrol tins, so I've made my own. :)

I do something very similar  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Thanks, guys.  It's been very slow going, mostly due to the very high humidity we've been having here.  It is taking about two days for each application of putty and paint to dry to the point I don't leave finger-prints.   :banghead:

Scotaidh

The (Chopped) Lightning Ground Strike:

I've been busy acquiring weapons and deciding loadouts ... Then I discovered that all those weapons sets don't include pylons.  Since the Lightning didn't have any under-wing pylons I was forced to borrow and copy them from another kit - that's why there're four white pylons under the Chopped Lightning. 

Load-out will be, from inboard to outboard, a GBU-10, six Mk.82 bombs, and a  triple rack of Brimstone missiles.  The two self-defense AAMs are of an unknown type, so I've invented a Scottish home-grown one I'm calling the Skean Dhu.  In my mind, it's basically a Scots copy of the Kukri Off-axis AAM, fired from a helmet sight. 
As you can see, I'm retaining the over-wing drop-tanks.

I'm still getting the Mk.82s together.  Once this one is done I will address the (Stretched) Cloud Lightning interceptor ...

Old Wombat

Woh! Heavy metal time! :o

Skean Dhu (a.k.a. Sgian Dubh, apparently) is a great name for a short-range AIM. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

Sgian Dubh is what I named a whiff fighter, also a Delta wing
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*