RW - Rolls Royce Armoured Car

Started by zenrat, June 13, 2019, 03:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

T E Lawrence reckoned that the Rolls Royce was the ideal vehicle for the desert

Lawrence was known to be a fanatical devotee of the marque and once said "A Rolls in the desert was above rubies .... Great was Rolls and great was Royce! They were worth hundreds of men to us in these deserts."  In his experience they were the only cars that could withstand both the punishing terrain and the weight of the armour and guns he often mounted on them. He exploited their versatility and reliability to the full and used them almost exclusively in his raids, many of which are well documented in the book "Steel Chariots in The Desert", written by S.C. Rolls (coincidentally named), Lawrence's long time driver. 

Full article here:- https://www.wellhereweare.com/home/2017/7/4/blue-mist-how-lawrence-of-arabia-stole-grannys-rolls-royce    and worth reading

There's this article too:-https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/armored-rolls-royce-ghosts-ruled-deserts-arabia-chariots-war
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

And they were still operating in the same desert in WWII.

My Dad was in charge of a 'flight' of them during the Habbaniya siege, all of which had names. One was 'Buffalo' as my Mum had a pic of it with Dad standing alongside.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes,  but they didn't look as sturdy as a Staghound for example.
I expect they are tougher than the average modern SUV though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 27, 2019, 03:20:48 AM
Yes,  but they didn't look as sturdy as a Staghound for example.

The Staghound always looked under armed to me. That is until the final versions came along with the 75mm gun.

Every time I think of the RR armoured car my mind always goes to Anthony Quin in the Film Lawrence of Arabia. No idea why, but it does  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Nice pair. :thumbsup:. Can't wait to see the dinosaur in a caunter pattern.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2019, 02:35:29 AM
And they were still operating in the same desert in WWII.

They'd become a bit like Trigger's broom by that time, very few had an original chassis (several were on Fordson truck chassis, some were on Phantom chassis). There were a lot of additions to the superstructure with a few having completely different turrets. Hardly two were alike.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on December 27, 2019, 07:30:09 AM

They'd become a bit like Trigger's broom by that time, very few had an original chassis (several were on Fordson truck chassis, some were on Phantom chassis). There were a lot of additions to the superstructure with a few having completely different turrets. Hardly two were alike.

Yes, Dad said they had a devil of a job keeping them going as the parts of one never fitted any of the others if they tried.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

zenrat

IIRC Silver Ghosts were hand built so even the standard cars had unique parts before 30 years of military modification to keep them running.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..