Quad Engine Super Caravelle ****FINISHED****

Started by TheChronicOne, June 19, 2019, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

;D De-regulation "something something."  :angel:  Lots of airlines were swallowed up in that time period. One two punch... de-reg in the US and the Oil Crisis one after another in short span. At least.... that's it in a nutshell.  "List of defunct US airlines" on wiki is one of my favorite places to peruse old airlines schemes and there are lots of casualties of the 70's-80's in there.

Scotaidh, thanks, bud!! I've been determined to "crack the code" as it were to rattle can painting because if I can, it should, in theory, be the quickest and easiest way to paint a thing. I've focused heavily on it over the past nearly two years now along with my "airliner university" plan of action to learn and build airliners. As a result, I'm making headway on the painting and starting to get some really nice results with less effort. I still mess things up from time to time (orange peel on some parts of this one) but on the whole it's turning out to be a viable method of painting. If it it can work for airliners and their demanding schemes, then it should also work for other less demanding things.

Masking is important... the favorite part of my breakthroughs in rattle canning have been being able to mask things, even tiny things like 1mm wide long line... without paint bleed and without having to resort to "sealing" techniques which make the paint thick at borders and create ridges. Proper application is good but having PROPER, QUALITY masking tape has made a huge difference. Having an arsenal of different sizes has been a life saver, as well. I picked up some a few months ago...it was pretty pricey but worth every penny.

Should be done with this one today. I've done some thinking about the glass and now that I've rested up a couple days without working on it I'm more willing to devote some time to it this afternoon instead of going straight for the glory. So....  what I might do is just mask around the cockpit windscreen opening and paint a silver border around that... then just paint the canopy by hand...  a few vertical silver lines places here and there ought to do it, I suppose. The only other option I can think of is to put the clear piece in then throw a windscreen decal over top of it which might not work very well.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

One important factor in rattle can painting is to know your paint and know your nozzle...

...and when you think you've got them sussed they'll change the formula or the design on you...

:banghead:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

That got me one time....  I used some appliance epoxy and I wasn't prepared for it to come out in a fan shape instead of the traditional "cone." Luckily it did't cause any problems but man was I surprised!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All done. Windscreen gave me over three hours of hell but I finally got it to a point where it's decent enough. Not the best but uhhhh... not the worst!

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks! I cut some corners all over the place but all the main aspects worked out great. Slowly getting used to the idea of hacking things up and making "new" things out of putty and all that. More goofy stuff is definitely on the way.  :mellow: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I must admit, that looks rather good.  I love the Comet style nose on it.  Looks the part!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Oh YEAH Brad, that REALLY looks the business!  :thumbsup:

Braniff Rules OK!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Beautiful. A lot of work but came out very well.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

TheChronicOne

Thanks y'all!!! I'm glad people like it.   I can't help but wonder what the original vision would have looked like but I can honestly say I like this livery so much that I'm glad the original went bad. Also, while I think the Caravelle windows are probably THE coolest windows in the sky I was also glad I switched them up. It makes this thing look more "American Industrial" and less "Fancy French Artsy Stuff."  Kind of drives home the point that this is American built. Cockpit glass was completely fictional... the outline is that of the original but the panel lines match up with a Fokker F-28......       So....  the screw ups really added into the "this is different" aspect of the build. Surprise seat of your pants what ifs can be the best!

Also, I can't tell if he was being serious or being "comparative" in nature but one person on Facebook was like, "Isn't this a VC-10?"   ;D   I can't tell if he was saying, "well, didn't you just plug a hole in the market that was already filled by the VC-10?" Or if he was saying, "Did you just build a VC-10 model and change the name?"  hahahha   

I had a lot of fun on this one.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Very nice, Brad! I like how this has come out.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, time and practice are the best ways to improve, and shows you that sometimes there simply aren't any shortcuts to gaining experience.

I wish there were more military options in (large, cheap) rattlecans, other than generic 'Sorta-close Green', or 'Kinda-like Grey', but it is what it is.

Little changes with a cumulative effect - "Oh, a Caravelle... wait, that's not right - or that... what else is different?" Keep 'em guessing!

And I like the way that sometimes an accident flukes into exactly what you had in mind, or better, and you couldn't have done it better if you'd tried!  ;D