Losing sight of the target

Started by PR19_Kit, June 20, 2019, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

We're getting a lot of ideas and proposals for the GB that seem to be losing sight of what the GB is all about.

You HAVE to change the number of engines that were fitted to the original airframe, not just plan a multi-engined aircraft that you've whiffed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I have to admit that I thought the concept behind this GB was the simplest we have had for a long time. I was wrong  :banghead:  :angel:

This to my mind is the key section of the rules :-

" Quite simply your build must include/involve the addition of an engine/engines or the subtraction of an engine/engines from whatever is your starting point"

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Oh I don't know, I agree there's been a lot of chat about ideas/projects that don't fit
the rules but the two entrys so far seem to be  within the spirit of the GB :thumbsup:
Personally i found the rules nice and simple and easy to understand.
So easy that even I have an idea of what to build ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

sandiego89

I tend to like tight rules for some GB's, otherwise it becomes "build what ever you want and stretch the rules".  I much more enjoy entries that honor the theme well and are plausible, and strive to do so for most of my entries.     

I also think the GB discussion threads tend have folks pushing ideas to the edge, and beyond, the rules more for discussions sake, or discuss real world articles along the lines of the topic,  less for anything they actually intend to build... "what if I add a 15HP Yamaha outboard motor on the back of my 1/700 HMS TITANIC build, does that could as more engines???".  I think this is more of banter, than actually serious questions, and it likely drives our esteemed moderators nuts!   :o

I also think it gets a bit muddled when we overlap GB's.  We have 2 still open for voting, and folks are already posting for the next one.  While I admire the enthusiasm, it can feel like we are on the hamster wheel, or maybe just for me.         
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 21, 2019, 02:26:26 PM

I also think it gets a bit muddled when we overlap GB's.  We have 2 still open for voting, and folks are already posting for the next one.  While I admire the enthusiasm, it can feel like we are on the hamster wheel, or maybe just for me.       

Tell me about it, I'm a moderator for TWO of them!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 21, 2019, 02:26:26 PM
I tend to like tight rules for some GB's, otherwise it becomes "build what ever you want and stretch the rules".  I much more enjoy entries that honor the theme well and are plausible, and strive to do so for most of my entries.     

I also think the GB discussion threads tend have folks pushing ideas to the edge, and beyond, the rules more for discussions sake, or discuss real world articles along the lines of the topic,  less for anything they actually intend to build... "what if I add a 15HP Yamaha outboard motor on the back of my 1/700 HMS TITANIC build, does that could as more engines???".  I think this is more of banter, than actually serious questions, and it likely drives our esteemed moderators nuts!   :o

Here, here, on all counts.  :thumbsup:

I like tightly defined rules too, and where I can see an obvious loophole, my instinct is to point it out so that the mods can close it before somebody either exploits it or falls foul because they misunderstood it. I rarely have any interest in actually exploiting it myself, since if the GB engages my enthusiasm in the first place, I'm unlikely to want to break with the spirit of it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Personally I don't actually worry to much about rules as long as they are clear and enforced fairly. Once upon a time I liked hard, fast and clear rules but if you had to attend meetings at the European Union HQ you's soon get used to the "other" kind  :angel: ;)

I'd like to apologise for the juxtaposition of the GB's again lads. I will space them out a bit better next year. Anyway it's all your fault by demanding extentions !  ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

I had lost sight of the basis of this GB.  It's exactly as stated in the title. 

"Engines -> More, or less" - means the build must have either more engines than the original did, or fewer engines than the original did - not different engines.   

Swapping a 2Cv's engine for one out of the Queen Mary, whilst a spectacular build, does not meet the criteria of this GB. That's a completely different & distinct GB; an "Improbable Engine Swap" GB that we aren't doing right now.

Cramming said Queen Mary's engine into the 2CV's boot to power the rear axle whilst leaving the original engine under the bonnet to power the front axle ... does.

Honest engine.

;)

Sorry for stating the obvious, but I feel it wasn't perhaps, stated clearly enough - at least for me - in the original write-up. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Rheged

One can get so caught up in the minutiae of the rules that one forgets the basic purpose of the whole exercise.......... or as my late father (a very practical engineer)  said about such events "When you are up to your armpits (censored version, other body areas are available) in alligators, you sometimes forget that the job was to drain the swamp"          So lets not get side-tracked.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 29, 2019, 12:25:31 PM
...Cramming said Queen Mary's engine into the 2CV's boot to power the rear axle whilst leaving the original engine under the bonnet to power the front axle ...

But where would the stokers sit?
:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on June 30, 2019, 04:33:23 AM
...Cramming said Queen Mary's engine into the 2CV's boot to power the rear axle whilst leaving the original engine under the bonnet to power the front axle ...

The classic Cunarder was:- Installed power: 24 × oil-fired Yarrow boilers.  Propulsion: 4 × Parsons single-reduction geared steam turbines 4 shafts, 160,000 shp

This (or even a quarter of it as a single engine) is going to take up a fair bit of the boot space.......but with even 40,000shp, your 2CV is going to be a contender at any traffic light grand prix.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I suspected as much but was too idle to look it up.

:-\
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: Rheged on June 30, 2019, 07:54:29 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 30, 2019, 04:33:23 AM

The classic Cunarder was:- Installed power: 24 × oil-fired Yarrow boilers.  Propulsion: 4 × Parsons single-reduction geared steam turbines 4 shafts, 160,000 shp

This (or even a quarter of it as a single engine) is going to take up a fair bit of the boot space.......but with even 40,000shp, your 2CV is going to be a contender at any traffic light grand prix.

But where are the stokers going to sit?  That is the eternal question!    :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf