A Little VC-Tenderness...

Started by TallEng, June 21, 2019, 10:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

For this GB I shall be attempting not to ruin the looks of one of the most beautiful and iconic Jet Airliners ever built...
Inspired by Rolls-Royce's RB211 Engine test bed XR609/G-AXLR
see here: http://www.vc10.net/History/Individual/XR809.html and the fact that at one point when they were converting the Ex B.A. VC-10's to K.3 K.4 Tankers, they'd considered replacing the RR Conways with IAE V2500 engines, I thought why not replace 4 Conways with two RB211?
I've got two Braz Mod RB211's and the newish Roden VC-10 kit to be going on with.
The trouble is the Engines are made of resin and are quite heavy, especially if your going to be putting them at the very back of the Airframe, I may rummage in the spares box and see if i have some injection molded RB211ish type engines. (possibly from the Minicraft B757 the RB211's were intended for).

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

AS.12

Entered service with Laker under a pre-767 ETOPS-like permit...?

Hobbes

I did a model of G-AXLR a while ago, that may provide some tips for the engine installation. Note that G-AXLR used an engine meant for underwing pylon use, hence the big fairing on top. Presumably a production version would have a neater installation with no need for the fairing.

and yes, it's definitely a tailsitter (even with just 1 BraZ engine).

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TallEng

Yes, both are excellent builds, :thumbsup:
I only hope that mine turns out as good as them.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

That really is a great idea, I only wish I'd thought of it :banghead:

Rheged

The three engine VC10 has been done in the real world.   Wikipaedia sayeth:-One aircraft (XR809) was leased to Rolls-Royce for flight testing of the RB211 turbofan between 1969 and 1975. On return to the RAF, it was discovered that the airframe was distorted, possibly due to the power difference between the RB211 on one side and the Conways on the other. It was considered uneconomical to repair and was partially scrapped, part of the airframe retained for load training

A twin RB211 /Trent engine VC10 is however still whiffable!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

That was G-AXLR that Hobbes mentioned above.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

There were at least two tri-jet proposals, the more extreme being a double-decker
with three RB-178.

The Rat

Often thought of similar stuff, like a twin-engined 727. This sounds great!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TallEng

Now where were we?
Ah yes the obigatory box top and contents shot:

IMG_0884 by , on Flickr

Interesting to note that although its a fairly recent moulding, 2016?
There was a fair amount of flash on one pair of wings, and some of the sprue gates are placed on the mating surfaces of parts
or on the leading edges of the wings requiring careful sanding. Fit so far seems quite good <_<
Compared to the ancient Airfix kit, (1964?) its much finer although with a bit of work i think the Airfix kit will still be able to stand alongside the Roden kit.
The Roden Conways are much better than the Airfix kits though.

Regards
Keith

TallEng

Not sure when I'll finish it as I'm currently flitting between Germany and Sweden (got to earn Money somehow :rolleyes:)
Anyway a quick mock up to show where I'm trying to go with this one. Note the lack of RB211's mainly because I didn't bring them with me
because I'm temporarily unsure of there location in the stash :banghead: However I did find two plastic molded RB211's. The trouble is
one is a RB211-535C (as fitted to B.A.'s early B757's) the other a later RB211-535E4, hopefully I'll be able to find their partners somewhere.
One other thing I wanted to do was to extend the wings a bit: :o
Now there are two ways of doing that, one can add extensions to the wing to make it longer or you can do this.....

IMG_0888 by , on Flickr

IMG_0887 by Keith Woods, on Flickr

IMG_0890 by , on Flickr

On reflection having studied the photo's a bit I think the winglets need refining, they look a little to broad in the cord, and I might adjust the rake to match
the Fin's rake back on the leading edge. Which would make them appear finer :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith