Percival Puffin

Started by kitbasher, July 01, 2019, 08:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

May not sound much, but:

Wing and tailplane roots an wing light spaces filled, elevators attached, additional filling the fuselage/nose join.  Was originally to dispense with the Comet undercarriage completely but on second thoughts have used the legs.  the Undercarriage wells will have two side doors each rather than the single rearward-folding cover the Comet comes with. I will be using new wheels though. 

Colour scheme decided upon a long tome ago - fictional but hopefully typical early 1950s.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Focus is on the Wellington right now, will do my best to have the Puffin ready for Telford.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: kitbasher on October 13, 2019, 01:57:48 AM
Focus is on the Wellington right now, will do my best to have the Puffin ready for Telford.

It's a good job I didn't say which Telford!  Finally calling this done.  Yes I could faff and tittivate a bit more, but to no real gain.  it's an old kit that went together easily except at the final stage - the canopy was slightly narrower than the cockpit.

So to the finished item (completed just a short while ago), Percival Puffin G-AKDD as operated by the Ministry of Civil Aviation and seen at Denham Aerodrome in August 1951:

The Puffin was derived from the Percival Proctor as a four-seat touring aircraft.  The name 'Puffin' was selected by Percival workers to reflect the fact that the type resembled a smaller version of Percival's only other twin-engined aircraft, the Petrel.

Development of the Puffin was conducted at a rapid pace following the end of the Second World War, Percival being keen to bring new designs to the post-war civil aviation sector at minimal development cost. This included utilisation of as many Proctor components as possible.

First flying on 26 November 1945 (exactly a month after the competing – albeit slightly smaller - Miles Gemini's first flight), the company's confidence in the Puffin was such that sales demonstrations using the prototype started only days later, while efforts to commence large scale production were started immediately.

150 Puffins were sold worldwide, aircraft having been registered in the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Gold Coast, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Lebanon, Morocco, New Zealand, Portugal, Rhodesia, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Jordan, Turkey, United Kingdom and United States.

The actual G-AKDD was a Miles M65 Gemini 1A built in 1947.  It was permanently removed from the UK civil aircraft register in 1961 – see G-INFO Historical Ledger G-AKDD.

G-AKDD's colour scheme was inspired by pics of restored Proctor G-ALJF, all markings being home made.

PR19_Kit

What a neat looking aeroplane, are you sure it's a real Whiff?  :thumbsup:

Adding an extra engine to the Proctor sounds like a good idea, they should have done the same to the Prentice.

Er, no, the Prentice needed TWO extra engines!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr

comrade harps

Lovely colours and so smooth.  :wub:
Whatever.

Tophe

:wub: Cute...

Quote from: kitbasher on July 01, 2019, 08:37:47 AM
Proctor development
To fully appreciate the beauty of this "new" plane, I am glad I saw the source, quite ugly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Proctor
Congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

That's looking great (and kawaii!), very well done.  :thumbsup:

Glenn Gilbertson

That's a little beauty! :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est