Vickers Wellington

Started by kitbasher, July 01, 2019, 08:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 30, 2019, 07:24:35 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on September 29, 2019, 06:30:37 AM
chopped out sections of the spindly spiky exhausts (intended for the French option - don't forget I'm talking the original Airfix Blenheim not the current one)

French version ? Am I missing something ?

Maybe!  Both new and old Airfix Blenheim IVs come with RAF and Free French marking options.  The former has stubby exhausts, the latter more of the 'hedgehog' style associated with, e.g. Beaufighters.

The Old Mk IV's exhaust options are best described as 'stubby indistinct' and 'snake with rigor mortis and a bad case of acne'.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Right, Free French  :thumbsup:

I thought that maybe the French had looked into the possibility of putting the Mk I Blenheim into service with the Armée de l'air immediately prior to WWII during their hasty rearmament and I'd missed it. They had quite a few one offs for trials, including at least one Spitfire.

Now that has given me an idea though. A Mk I in French 3 colour upper camouflage colours ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Really trying hard to get this finished by the revised deadline.

Painting has started, duralumin undersides done (inevitable touching up anticipated), dark earth and dark green base coats applied to the uppers.  Tyres need doing, and a few odds and ends need fitting and painting eventually.

Top coats, decalling and varnishing will right up to the wire.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Some work-induced time-inhibiting setbacks plus a wedding have slowed progress.

Close to finishing by the deadline but not close enough - and I doubt the mods would grant a further extension (and I don't have the brass neck to ask!), but will do as much as possible today and post pics later.

Will ensure it's ready for Telford.

NARSES2

I'll almost certainly be moving mine to the regular build section, so let me know if you'd likes yours moving Dave
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2019, 06:37:58 AM
I'll almost certainly be moving mine to the regular build section, so let me know if you'd like yours moving Dave

Will think about it, Chris.  Might do what I've done a couple of times before and just pop the beauty pics in the build thread.  Dunno yet.

kitbasher

Anyway, final progress pics before the GB ends.  Will get a few odds an ends done this evening an few more tomorrow but next weekend now is the earliests it'll be finished.  Ah well.

The transparencies were surprisingly fiddly.  I say surprisingly as in my experience Matchbox kits have always fitted well.  Even the Meteor NF to me isn't as bad as some make it out to be.  The cockpit wasn't spot on (but wasn't too bad), while the rear gunner transparency was very odd.  Underscale I'd say.  Don't recall having such issues when I built my only Wellesley, but OK it was 20 years ago (and then it was left behind in Saudi Arabia).  Anyway, lots of Kristal Klear used around both and I think more needed for the gunner's transparency.

NARSES2

That's surprisingly attractive. A slightly longer nose, PR Blue overall and SEAC roundels would make it even more so  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 14, 2019, 06:39:07 AM
That's surprisingly attractive. A slightly longer nose, PR Blue overall and SEAC roundels would make it even more so  :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris.

Technology a bit too old for SEAC scheme, but Tropical Sea Scheme circa 1941 would be nice for a Vildebeest alternative.  Wellesleys were of course designed to drop torpedoes.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on October 14, 2019, 07:28:07 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 14, 2019, 06:39:07 AM

Thanks Chris.

Technology a bit too old for SEAC scheme, but Tropical Sea Scheme circa 1941 would be nice for a Vildebeest alternative.  Wellesleys were of course designed to drop torpedoes.

I suppose so. I always forget how late the what I regard as the "classic SEAC" scheme came about. It is probably my favourite scheme though  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

So it missed the extended GB deadline but was ready for Telford.

A twin-engined development of the Vickers Wellesley, the Wellington emerged following an Air Ministry rethink of its maritime reconnaissance requirements in the mid-1930s.  The Avro Anson had been ordered in response to a request for tenders issued by the British Air Ministry for a maritime reconnaissance aircraft.  The type was placed into service with the Royal Air Force in 1936 and was initially used in the envisioned maritime reconnaissance operation alongside the larger flying boats.  The Air Marshalls quickly realised that the Anson's offensive weapon load was paltry; more was needed, and soon.

Meanwhile, Vickers had launched production of its Wellesley bomber.  Although a single-engined design, it's bomb load and range were considerably greater than the Anson's, and the Air Ministry saw potential in a 'fast-track' adaptation of the design to better satisfy its land-based maritime reconnaissance needs.  Two engines were required; although reliable, the Wellesley's single 925 hp Bristol Pegasus XX wasn't enough in the event of an engine failure over water, so Vickers took the simple expedient of replacing it with two lighter Bristol Mercury engines that each pushed out 920 hp.

Other than the engine mountings, main undercarriage and nose profile, the Wellington was essentially identical to the Wellesley.  while speed was increased, range reduced but it was still better than the Anson's and the bomb load still more than three times greater.

Wellingtons entered service in early 1938 and were the mainstay of Coastal Command's land-based maritime reconnaissance force until supplemented by the Hudson.  In the European Theatre they were slowly replaced by more capable types as the war progressed but continued to give sterling service over the eastern Mediterranean, the East African coast and Indian Ocean up to the end of 1944.  They also served in the search and rescue role over UK territorial waters (dropping inflatable life rafts and other survival gear from the distinctive panniers) right up to the end of 1946.

The model depicts Vickers Wellington I L1336, MW-F of 217 Squadron, based at St Eval during July 1940.

The real L1336 was a Blenheim I (kitted by FROG), while the real MW-F was Anson I K6285.

PR19_Kit

Sr. Eval 1940? My Dad was there then, it's a pity he's no longer with us or I'd ask him about the Wellingtons.  ;D ;)

CRACKING model there Dave, I'm pleased to have seen it for real at Telford.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Thanks Kit, and I'm sure your dad DID tell you about the Wellingtons, you've just forgotten ;)

NARSES2

Glad to say it looks as good in the flesh as in the photos.

Nice one sir  :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.