Boeing B-56 Stratocastle

Started by PR19_Kit, July 01, 2019, 02:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

This is a very interesting project.  It's going to be amazing upon completion...
Thanks!

Greg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: strobez on August 03, 2019, 08:41:02 AM

This is a very interesting project.  It's going to be amazing upon completion...

I hope it gets as far as completion Greg, and thanks for the appreciation, but it may be a tad late for the end of the GB.

I've cut the outboard pylon mounting area away, and also a corresponding slot to take it further inboard, and those bits are meant to replace the outboard cut out.

They don't fit, but with some extra styrene strip and LOTS of PSR they will do.  ;)

I'm on Plan B for the outrigger leg, I really don't think it's moveable so I'm going to replace the trailing edge strip and file and sand the tip to match it. More PSR of course....

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

All the bits are now glued in their correct places, including a new, laminated styrene trailing edge.

This is before the mammoth PSR session that's going to be needed of course.

And I've got to do the one on the OTHER side after this too!  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

To move the outrigger wheel bay you could use a simmilar method to the one you have just used for the pylon notch.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

What about modifying the engine pod and make it like the B-47, where it had the outrigger wheel in between the engines.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

Or retract into a Soviet style bullet fairing?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Having got all the bits where they're supposed to be, and filled in most of the gaps with styrene strip, I started on the monumental PSR session. As some of the gaps were still quite large I used Milliput on them. and my fave Presto putty on the rest.

As usual the Milliput didn't go off properly!  :banghead: It never does unless it's brand new in my experience and even some time sitting on a radiator didn't cure it 100%, so filing it down was a right pain. So much so I clogged up my heavy duty file and had to take a wire brush to it to clean it!

It'll look OK when it's all sanded off I'm sure, but in the meanwhile it's a pain. :(

Regards
Kit

Tophe

I pity the poor modeller, in PSR pain... :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2019, 10:20:54 AM
Having got all the bits where they're supposed to be, and filled in most of the gaps with styrene strip, I started on the monumental PSR session. As some of the gaps were still quite large I used Milliput on them. and my fave Presto putty on the rest.

As usual the Milliput didn't go off properly!  :banghead: It never does unless it's brand new in my experience and even some time sitting on a radiator didn't cure it 100%, so filing it down was a right pain. So much so I clogged up my heavy duty file and had to take a wire brush to it to clean it!

It'll look OK when it's all sanded off I'm sure, but in the meanwhile it's a pain. :(

Use a hammer and chisel!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kerick

I use a product called Apoxie Sculpt by Aves. It comes in two jars and always works. Both Amazon and Walmart list it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Quote from: kerick on August 08, 2019, 11:48:03 AM
I use a product called Apoxie Sculpt by Aves. It comes in two jars and always works. Both Amazon and Walmart list it.

It's on Amazon UK as well at £22.95 for the 1lb. kit, the US price is $22.95.
More of the just change the currency symbol crap our UK brethren contend
with on a daily basis.
:banghead:

PR19_Kit

£22.95 for a 1 lb tin?  :o :o

With eye watering prices like that it's cheaper to bye new tubes of Milliput each time I need it.

My nearest Wallmart is about 2600 miles away................

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 08, 2019, 12:43:36 PM
Quote from: kerick on August 08, 2019, 11:48:03 AM

It's on Amazon UK as well at £22.95 for the 1lb. kit, the US price is $22.95.
More of the just change the currency symbol crap our UK brethren contend
with on a daily basis.
:banghead:

At current exchange rates that's probably about right :banghead: :banghead:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

The Wooksta!

P38 car body filler.  Costs about a fiver.  Cures in minutes, quicker than Milliput, and get it right whilst it's curing and you can cut it like cheese. It'll sand down and polish to a glass like finish. Down side is that it stinks.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic