Boeing B-56 Stratocastle

Started by PR19_Kit, July 01, 2019, 02:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I find the best way with Milliput is to "plane" the excess away with a sharp scalpel held at a shallow angle.  Then, when its down to very near the level I want, I switch to course sandpaper and then successive grades of finer sandpaper.

Of course, I also carefully weigh both components before mixing well and truly by hand.  I have a small digital scale I bought off of evil bay.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

I'd forgotten P38 Lee, and I used to use it ages ago. I may give it another try, thanks.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: rickshaw on August 08, 2019, 07:10:08 PM
...I have a small digital scale I bought off of evil bay.    :thumbsup:

...and that is all I use it for officer and I have no idea where that supply of empty baggies came from... :o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on August 09, 2019, 04:30:00 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on August 08, 2019, 07:10:08 PM
...I have a small digital scale I bought off of evil bay.    :thumbsup:

...and that is all I use it for officer and I have no idea where that supply of empty baggies came from... :o

Along with the teat-pipettes and the chemical spatulas I have in my possession, Officer.  I only use them all for modelling, I swear!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2019, 01:24:55 PM

My nearest Wallmart is about 2600 miles away................

They own Asda in the UK Kit, but I doubt if they stock what you need
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 08, 2019, 12:43:36 PM
Quote from: kerick on August 08, 2019, 11:48:03 AM
I use a product called Apoxie Sculpt by Aves. It comes in two jars and always works. Both Amazon and Walmart list it.

It's on Amazon UK as well at £22.95 for the 1lb. kit, the US price is $22.95.
More of the just change the currency symbol crap our UK brethren contend
with on a daily basis.
:banghead:

Harley-Davidson UK used to do that trick with a MUCH more expensive product, even in the days when the exchange rates were VERY different... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on August 10, 2019, 02:43:03 AM

Harley-Davidson UK used to do that trick with a MUCH more expensive product, even in the days when the exchange rates were VERY different... :banghead:

And some plastic kit distributors do it with NEGATIVE exchange rates even now!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've about done with the PSR on the port wing, so I thought I'd add the pylon and engine before showing pics of it.

WRONG!

The Buffmaster Designs engines seem to be cast out of unobtanium as sawing them down to size is the very devil of a job. I wish I had a band saw as my poor old razor saw is having a tough time of it. The DB mouldings front fans are a much better shape than the Buffmaster ones so I'm going to combine the two.

Naturally the joint lines are in different places so some free-form sawing is called for.  :banghead:

The BM designs pylons look to be a very odd shape, so much so that I started a search for side views of the -H pylons. There's almost NONE available on the Net, they're either nose-on views showing the fans or they only show the front of the pylon, not the aft section that I'm looking for, but I found this gem of a pic.

For sure the BM pylon IS wrong and will need some careful re-shaping after I've got it in place, but it'll be a while as my razor saw needs a rest!

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Brotha you always seem to step off into some builds that fight you tooth and nail! I admire your perseverance; some of this stuff come up against would be the types of things that have me temporarily shelving mine for a couple weeks.

Is there such a thing as a mini band saw I wonder? How convenient that would be......  like a little desktop model that runs bands about the width of jigsaw blades.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 10, 2019, 02:23:20 PM

Brotha you always seem to step off into some builds that fight you tooth and nail!

Yes Brad, you're dead right, I do, don't I?

Perhaps it's my nature to try things that are a challenge, but it does end up with LOADS of part built projects waiting for solutions to problems.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2019, 06:04:11 PM

That'll be nice when they get some paint on over the primer... :o :lol:

Funny you should say that.  ;D

After looking at that pic I thought 'Why not give the wing a primer coat to see how the PSR is coming on' so I did.

I can't say it looks as smooth as the one in the pic, in fact it looks ruddy awful, but some more PSR and more primer etc.

The hint is in the 'R' of PSR'............  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 10, 2019, 02:18:10 PM

The Buffmaster Designs engines seem to be cast out of unobtanium as sawing them down to size is the very devil of a job. I wish I had a band saw as my poor old razor saw is having a tough time of it. The DB mouldings front fans are a much better shape than the Buffmaster ones so I'm going to combine the two.

Screwfix (your nearest is Chepstow) have one for about £110......but think of the workout your biceps are getting with the razor  saw!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on August 11, 2019, 06:29:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 10, 2019, 02:18:10 PM

Screwfix (your nearest is Chepstow) have one for about £110......but think of the workout your biceps are getting with the razor  saw!!

It's not my biceps I'm worried about, it's the teeth of my razor saw. I only bought it 3-4 months ago, and I may have to get another one after this build.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Things will come to a grinding halt on this for a week or so as I'm off to Ireland on the ferry tomorrow. And I'm NOT taking any model stuff, well, nothing as big as a B-52 anyway.

I have got a 1/144 scale Hurricane that may well have its decals applied during the week, but that's an RW model destined for my model railway club's N gauge layout.

Regards
Kit