1965 Chevrolet El Camino - El Toucam. Finished pics on page 6

Started by zenrat, July 02, 2019, 05:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Little steps.

I have painted the rear suspension radius rods and coil-overs and I have scratch built a fuel injection pump.
I have also started work on the fuel tanks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Major step forward today.  Sat it on my glass plate (to ensure all four are on the ground) and glued up most of the rear suspension.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 18, 2019, 06:19:43 AM

Major step forward today.  Sat it on my glass plate (to ensure all four are on the ground) and glued up most of the rear suspension.

That's always a defining situation with a car model.  :thumbsup:

I use a mirror and then I can see if any of the bits have come misplaced at the same time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I've been slowly making progress with this.
I want to get it completed before I start the car build for the Out of Retirement GB.
It is nearly there.  Fuel tanks have to be finished off and fitted.  There are two.  One big one for the front engine (a tank from one of my parts boxes slightly fettled) and a smaller moon style tank I have scratch built.  Both are undergoing PSR.
Other than that I just have to mount the rear engine and its drive shaft and then do a bit of weathering.

Fred

zenrat

Rear engine is in place.
Fuel tanks have been sanded and primed.  More PPP will be needed.
I have also started scratchbuilding a truck battery.  This will be situated on a mesh platform right at the back of the tub behind the rear engine.  Using a truck battery and fitting it as far back as possible is an old Gasser trick to improve weight distribution for a better launch.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 03, 2019, 03:16:42 AM

Using a truck battery and fitting it as far back as possible is an old Gasser trick to improve weight distribution for a better launch.

And with a whole 'extra' engine up front it's going to need every ounce back there!

One reason why my Imp always beat the Minis off the line, even though the engine was cast from aluminium.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Battery is built and will get primer tomorrow.
I couldn't find the reference photos I took of a real truck battery but I copied the dimensions from one I built for a '32 Ford.
Drive shaft for the rear engine is installed and I put more putty on the tanks.
Fred

zenrat

Crawling to the finish line...

Attached the front engines fuel tank today and scratchbuilt a frame to hold the rear engine's (scratchbuilt) moon tank.
Ummmed and arrred over whether to paint the (already gloss black) moon tank Alclad Chrome or Mr Metal Aluminium.  I went for the aluminium as IRL the tanks were spun aluminium which while it may have been polished wasn't chromed.  Also the overall finish of this is slightly shabby and there is  already enough chrome in the back in the form of the valve covers, blower and scoop.

I'm hoping to have it finished by Monday night as it is the Model Car Club model of the year comp.
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

This is sounding VERY good Fred!  :thumbsup: ;D

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 07, 2019, 03:59:41 AM
This is sounding VERY good Fred!  :thumbsup: ;D

Bet it would sound very good (and loud) as well.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

1965 Chevrolet El Camino - El Toucam.

'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

A dual purpose vehicle this one.  In the front an (almost) standard Chevrolet 327ci small block V8.  A reliable, economical and eminently drivable engine for commuting, shopping and general driving about duties.
In the back a supercharged Pontiac 421ci Super Duty V8.  A tuned to the nines full on drag race engine.

'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

El Toucam can be driven on either engine (or both if you really want to) through the same Chrysler A883 four speed manual transmission.  The engine not being used being locked out of engagement using the same technology as a line lock (used to lock the front brakes of a car while spinning the rear tyres prior to a drag race).  A transfer case connects the engines to the gearbox.
Rear axle is a four link suspended Ford 9".

'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The rear engine, being a full house race engine was not fitted with a starter motor but can be started be placing the transmission in neutral, starting the front engine and then engaging both clutches.
A separate fuel system is provided for each engine.

'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
'65 El Camino - Toucam  - 18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.
Started for the Engines; More or Less GB (and missing even the extended deadline) El Toucam is an AMT '65 Chevrolet El Camino body mounted on a shortened AMT '58 Edsel Pacer chassis.
Front engine is from the El Camino kit.  Rear engine is an AMT parts pack item.  Wheels are from a Monogram '66 Chevy Malibu Street Rat.  Tyres are from my parts boxes.  Lots of everything else was scratchbuilt.

I have been pondering whether you could engage the rear engines clutch while cruising on the freeway in order to start it and get an overtaking speed boost.  Or if that would just explode the rear clutch.

And yes, no number plates.  I forgot them but noticed I had done so when taking the pics and have since added them.

Fred

Old Wombat

Not a car I'd want to drive - far too complicated - but what a beast! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

That's looking very cool. I esp. like the simple livery.  :thumbsup: