1965 Chevrolet El Camino - El Toucam. Finished pics on page 6

Started by zenrat, July 02, 2019, 05:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Um, there might be a simple answer to this, but with the rear engine facing backwards like that, wouldn't that make the rear axle run as if in reverse  :-\
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

scooter

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 10, 2019, 07:24:16 AM
Um, there might be a simple answer to this, but with the rear engine facing backwards like that, wouldn't that make the rear axle run as if in reverse  :-\

Transmission for the rear engine spins opposite the front transmission.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

loupgarou

Fantastic!
Would that be street legal, and would it work in real life?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

I absolutely LOVE that Fred!  :wub: My kind of truck.  :thumbsup:

It'd give new meaning to the 'Run what ya brung' class at the local strip.  ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.
Model of the Year at the Model Car Club was postponed until next month due to only two of us bringing entries.

Quote from: scooter on November 10, 2019, 07:55:34 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 10, 2019, 07:24:16 AM

Transmission for the rear engine spins opposite the front transmission.

No, I thought of that.  Initially I was going to say that the rear engine was modified to run backwards (not too hard to do - basically* only a retimed camshaft is needed) but then I realised that as the rear engine would require higher overall gearing then I could kill two birds with one stone by adding an extra gear in the transfer case which both changed the direction of the drive from the rear engine and geared it down.

*OK, so it's not quite that simple but it isn't rocket surgery.

Quote from: loupgarou on November 10, 2019, 01:37:55 PM
Fantastic!
Would that be street legal, and would it work in real life?

Legality would depend on which engine you were using.  If it was the rear one then then answer would be WHAT DID YOU SAY?  I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS ENGINE...
If it was the front engine then surely it would just be like doing around with a spare engine in the back...
As for would it work?  I like to think it would.  I put a lot of thought into figuring out how to do it so you could run on either engine.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Now that is an interesting thought. A car that goes from street legal to illegal at the "flip of a switch." I wonder......  :unsure:     I've watched a lot of Street Outlaws before it apparently became crap and it sure would have helped them guys get out of a bind. Test hits on the monster then shut it down before the cops arrive.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Nice work ! Love the underside shot ! Great drive train.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Just been going back over this thread, looking for a few hints and tips for my 'Secret Prototype' car build, and I'm even MORE impressed now than when I was reading it first time around!  :o

That is one AWESOME build Fred.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks Kit.  Although i'm not sure there is much I can teach you.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 03, 2020, 04:15:53 AM
We can all learn from each other, and we do here.  :thumbsup:

Yup, one of the huge bonuses of membership  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Beast.  Make a fibreglass top and disguise it with a tarp, the rozzers wouldn't have clue.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.