1:72 Antonov An-50

Started by jalles, July 07, 2019, 05:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

I was really stumped about what to make for this GB when I stumbled upon the Antonov An-50. It was meant to be a jet derivative of the An-24 with four Al-25 engines replacing the two turboprops.

I'll be using Amodels An-24 as the base and 3D printing new engines and pylons.

Hopefully it will look something like this when its done.

1:72 Antonov An-50 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Old Wombat

OK, boys, pack up your kits, jalles is in the game! ;D ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Oh, I thought with that picture he'd already finished...   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

That's an interesting nacelle/engine arrangement!  :thumbsup:

jalles

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 07, 2019, 08:41:47 PM
OK, boys, pack up your kits, jalles is in the game! ;D ;)

Ha, ha, I'll be happy if I actually finish this one!
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 07, 2019, 11:42:18 PM

That's an interesting nacelle/engine arrangement!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's a bit bizarre. I guess it's just the easiest way to attach four jets to an An-24.

Here's the 3D printed nacelle. One is together and in the process of smoothing out. The other has been roughly sanded and yet to be assembled. That horrible, cut out part of the assembled nacelle will be hidden when it's mounted to the wing.

loupgarou

Looking at the Antonov model, wouldn't the jets burn off the rubber from the landing gear wheels at the first retraction?  :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jalles

I've been traveling all summer so I haven't made much progress, now that I'm finally home work can begin again.  I'm not a fan of round cabin windows on the AN-24 kit, they look old school. This is an updated version and I'd like more modern looking cabin windows. I could cut out the new windows individually but that's too tedious and I doubt I could get them flush. I've decided to cut out a large rectangle from the side of the fuselage that encompesses all of the round windows. I'll then replace that with a rectangular piece of clear plastic, sand it down to the correct profile and then polish it to get it clear again. I'll then just mask the correct shape for the windows.

I'm going to use a window shape like the Dash 8 at the top.

The 3D printed engine nacelles are almost done being smoothed out.

I've cast some fan blades for the engines. I had nothing the right size so these are from a SU-34 cut down and sanded to the right size.

Old Wombat

McColm

jalles

Alas, I think this is another group build I won't finish, although I'll certainly try my best to get it done on time.

Here's the finished cockpit. The kit only had a decal for the pilots instruments so I cut up an old Tornado decal sheet to fill out the rest.

Here's the cabin interior and the reason I probably won't finish this on time. The kit didn't come with a cabin interior so I 3D printed one. That then lead to a lot of primer and sanding, and when you have 26 seats, it takes a while. You probably won't even see it through the windows  :banghead:

McColm

I've added jet engines to my 1/72 Roden An-12,  thanks for your idea  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Brilliant cockpit & cabin, jalles! :bow: :bow:

If nothing else, you & we will know all that great work is in there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 30, 2019, 08:26:27 PM
Brilliant cockpit & cabin, jalles! :bow: :bow:

If nothing else, you & we will know all that great work is in there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Second that. :thumbsup: A shame that this will probably get "lost".

zenrat

Quote from: jalles on September 30, 2019, 07:45:02 PM
Alas, I think this is another group build I won't finish...

Good.

Oh come on, all you lot also in the GB were thinking it as well.   ;D

Seriously, that's fantastic work.  I don't know how you can achieve that quality in the one true scale.
How many passengers are you putting in?
:angel:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Those crew figures are fantastic  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.