Britten Norman Islander/Trislander

Started by Weaver, July 17, 2019, 01:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Slightly surprised to see that there was no topic for this. If there is and I've missed it then by all means merge them, please mods.

So... this is what I was thinking about at work yesterday. Whether this reveals more about me than about my work or vice-versa is something I'll leave others to speculate upon...

If you add an engine to an Islander, you get a Trislander. Let's extend this naming principle for inspirational purposes:

1. Add a pressure cabin for the crew plus an operator. Add vertical cameras in the centre and rear fuselages, or radar in the nose, or electronic sensors, or air-sampling systems. Replace the engines with turboprops or turbo-supercharged diesels (use Do 28 engine pods). Replace the outer wings with much longer span ones.

What have you got? A Highlander.

2. Add a pressure cabin. Replace the engines with vertically firing rocket motors. Replace the wheels with landing pads. Replace the outer wings with large fuel tanks. Replace the tail surfaces with a large communications dish.

What have you got? A Moonlander.

3. Replace the engines with turbo-generators. Add four electric-motor-driven props to the wings. Add solar panels to all the upper surfaces.

What have you got? A Greenlander.

4. Add skis, cold-weather detail mods and sensors for arctic/antarctic research.

What have you got? An Icelander.

5. Add a deep flying-boat hull.

What have you got? A Sunderlander.

6. Have the aircraft built under licence by PZL.

What have you got? A Polander.

7. Fit the aircraft with terrain-following radar and an automatic flight control system.

What have you got? A Lowlander.

8. Convert the aircraft for use by US Navy special forces.

What have you got? A SEALander.

9. Use a Highlander (qv) for covert surveillance OR use a Lowlander (qv) fitted with FLIR/PNVS and silenced engines (ducted fans as tested on a real Islander?) for covert insertion/extraction of special forces/intelligence agents.

What have you got? A Spylander.

10. Make a fully-lightened Islander with a skeletal rear fuselage with lots of circular holes in it to take part in a STOL competition.

What have you got? A Collander.

11. Paint an aircraft in a promotional scheme for a recent Hollywood musical movie.

What have you got? A LaLaLander.

12. Paint an Islander as Ben Stiller's personal aircraft.

What have you got? A Zoolander.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Hehehehehe.  ;D :thumbsup:

If only the kit was more available it'd be a good basis for GB.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And in the worst case, where you model one bashed into the ground..........

What have you got? A Crashlander!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2019, 02:30:33 AM
And in the worst case, where you model one bashed into the ground..........

What have you got? A Crashlander!

LOL - there were a bunch of other names that I thought of, but I couldn't think of a design change that would justify them, so I'll leave them for others to find.  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Eng-er-lander - Specially modified example for ferrying supporters of the national soccer team to away matches.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 17, 2019, 03:37:27 AM

Eng-er-lander - Specially modified example for ferrying supporters of the national soccer team to away matches.

With New Order's 'World in Motion' being the only musak played on board no doubt?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Then theres the Mainlander.
A C-160 sized trash hauler with the same engine layout as the trilander......... ..
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on July 17, 2019, 07:18:19 AM

Then theres the Mainlander.
A C-160 sized trash hauler with the same engine layout as the trilander......... ..

I like the sound of that.  :thumbsup:

And while we're on such a theme, a Herk with a similar engine setup would be a shoe-in for the current GB.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I've always liked the "Tuppeny Trident" since I flew in one years ago. I agree that, given a suitable kit, this would be a remarkably interesting group build.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TsrJoe

bit of a long shot, does anyone have a copy of the BN. Trislander conversion article published in Almark Modelworld magazine back in October 1972 ?

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Weaver

An alternative "Sealander": G-AVUB being tested on HMS Hermes in 1968. Apparently it landed on and took off without any problem, and didn't use arrestor gear or the catapult either:

Apologies for the low resolution of the pics: these are the best I could find online. The June issue of Aviation News has an article about the Islander which includes a high-res version of the push-back picture, although it doesn't have any more information about the trial than I've put here.

Now I'm imagining a fully-navalized version for use from the Harrier-carriers, with AEW nose (which I've got Spot-On's conversion set for), folding wings, Skyvan engines and a booster jet engine mounted DC-10-style at the base of the fin (use a tiny-scale DC-10 kit for the conversion).

- Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

IIRC the OV-10 and even a C-130 was tested for carrier operations! There also were serious thoughts to create a COD aircraft from the DC-9 airliner!

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 17, 2024, 01:57:22 AMIIRC the OV-10 and even a C-130 was tested for carrier operations! There also were serious thoughts to create a COD aircraft from the DC-9 airliner!

And from the BAe146/Avro RJ (I've seen the drawings) and the Fokker F28 (not a typo: the twin-jet airliner).

The 146 would have had an F-4K style telescoping nose leg, not for take-off attitude, but in order to get the top of the tail low enough to get into a USN carrier's hangar. :o

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 17, 2024, 01:57:22 AMIIRC the OV-10 and even a C-130 was tested for carrier operations! There also were serious thoughts to create a COD aircraft from the DC-9 airliner!

Somewhere there's video of the C-130 landing, sans hook too. IIRC it was aboard the USS Forrestal.

Yes, found it here, if you can live with all the adverts..............

https://www.military.com/video/military-aircraft-operations/carrier-landings/c-130-carrier-landing-without-hook/2812569251001

Regards
Kit