Avro Tudor, Trader and Ashton

Started by The Wooksta!, July 18, 2019, 08:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

That looks very good Lee, the Tudor's squashed nose works very well with the equally squashed nacelles.

Now all they needed to do was to pretty up that GINORMOUS fin and it'd be darn nigh perfect.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 13, 2019, 01:11:43 AM
That looks very good Lee, the Tudor's squashed nose works very well with the equally squashed nacelles.

They do work well, don't they. There's something quite modern looking about it, apart as you say for that huge fin.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Between the Tudor VIII and the Avro Canada Jetliner, I prefer the Jetliner. Kicking myself for not getting one when Execuform had them for sale.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

There's a resin Jetliner in 72nd, but the cost is horrendous - 300 notes!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Saw that over on Aviation Megastore website, I don't need one that bad ----

The Wooksta!

It should be that hard to convert an Ashton or at least scratchbodge one using a Shatipuss wing as a donor.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Good idea, but it's just occurred to me there's something a bit closer. I'll have to do some check measurements but a DC-4 seems to be just about right. I'll need a Britannia windshield too, as the Jetliner windshield looks just like it.

The Wooksta!

Does the DC4 have a circular fuselage though?  One gadgy on Britmodeller (pix all gone thanks to photobucket) was using a DC6 as a basis for a Tudor II but had to cut chunks out of the fuselage to get a circular cross section.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Looking at 3-Views of the DC-4/6, it does appear to have a slightly oblong cross-section, higher than what it's wide. I think a series of round bulkheads all the way through the fuselage would be enough to make it circular, I'm not going to detail the cabin area anyway. Or if I can find the correct diameter of pipe, a bit of ABS pipe would also work. I had found one particular diameter pipe was just a fraction smaller than the inside diameter of the Airways Vac Form Britannia I'm converting into a CL-44, I think they have the same diameter fuselages in real life. I'd have to check on that though --- it's also something the Contrails B-36 kit I have also does, the vacuform kit came with a length of PVC tube for inside the fuselage to stiffen it up.

jcf

Fuselage cross-section dimensions:

C-102
Diameter: 10'

DC-4
Width: 10' 5"
Height: 11' 6"

In 1/72 the C-102 fuselage comes out at 1.667" (42.3mm), the OD of Schedule 40 1.25" PVC pipe
is 1.660" (42.2mm).

So it looks like the plumbing aisle has your C-102 fuselage.  :thumbsup:

kitnut617