Firestreak training rounds

Started by chrisonord, July 18, 2019, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

One thing's for sure,  I  won't be  attempting  to put roundels on any of the  missiles  ;D ;D
I have ordered a book on the RAF, which covers from 1950 to 1970, whi3 should  cover the  time frame  of the aircraft I  want  to build. I will of course  be wiffing som3 aircraft  in to the scenario. Fireflash armed Hawker/Horten flying  wing  anyone???  :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 21, 2019, 03:26:07 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 20, 2019, 04:30:32 AM
Especially since it was probably still Blue Jay then. :lol:

I've got a pic of one in a book on a Lightning with roundels on the wings and tail.  Seems to be a mock up, the seeker is painted.

I've seen a fair few pictures in magazines where RAF missiles have had roundels on the fins. From memory the missiles have always been white, no idea of types however as it's not my main period of interest.

I've always thought it was for PR purposes?  They usually seemed to be on development rounds or at airshows.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 21, 2019, 04:41:29 AM
I like that idea Chris  :thumbsup:
I have  ordered some of the Pavla ones  to go on a couple of my early  jets,  hopefully I can  build  them without  destroying them  :rolleyes: ;D I  also have  an R511 earmarked for my nord griffon,  pity I  only have the one of them, as I  I  remember there being  a single on with a mirage 3 kit,  when I was a  kid, what  kit I can't remember.
Chris.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 21, 2019, 05:20:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 21, 2019, 03:26:07 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 20, 2019, 04:30:32 AM
Especially since it was probably still Blue Jay then. :lol:

I've got a pic of one in a book on a Lightning with roundels on the wings and tail.  Seems to be a mock up, the seeker is painted.

I've seen a fair few pictures in magazines where RAF missiles have had roundels on the fins. From memory the missiles have always been white, no idea of types however as it's not my main period of interest.

I've always thought it was for PR purposes?  They usually seemed to be on development rounds or at airshows.

May well have been pure PR Mossie, may have been just a couple of examples who's photos get everywhere.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: chrisonord on July 21, 2019, 07:05:37 AM
I have  ordered some of the Pavla ones  to go on a couple of my early  jets,  hopefully I can  build  them without  destroying them  :rolleyes: ;D I  also have  an R511 earmarked for my nord griffon,  pity I  only have the one of them, as I  I  remember there being  a single on with a mirage 3 kit,  when I was a  kid, what  kit I can't remember.
Chris.

The Airfix Mirage IIIc kit comes IIRC with a R511, 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

chrisonord

Quote from: rickshaw on July 27, 2019, 03:35:43 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on July 21, 2019, 07:05:37 AM
Chris.

The Airfix Mirage IIIc kit comes IIRC with a R511,
I think  that is where  mine  came from,  and  it has just  the one  on the centre line  pylon,  another would be a good addition,  aa I  would like  to put two on my Nord griffon
Cheers
Chris.

Army of One

I been trying to find the pics I took at the RAF museum of the different rounds next to the lightning there.....I'm sure one was light blue or grey.....been a while....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Gondor

Quote from: Army of One on August 06, 2019, 10:14:37 AM
I been trying to find the pics I took at the RAF museum of the different rounds next to the lightning there.....I'm sure one was light blue or grey.....been a while....

From a couple of years ago when I last attended Telford I spent a few hours wandering around Cosford takeing pictures so....

Firestreak

Red Top

And Read Dean

also Fireflash

which I always thought was something created by Gerry Anderson

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

The Gerry Anderson comment is quite apt I think. Back in the day I could never quite workout which part of the Fireflash held the explosive ?

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 07, 2019, 05:50:02 AM
The Gerry Anderson comment is quite apt I think. Back in the day I could never quite workout which part of the Fireflash held the explosive ?

It's still something that confuses me. On reflection it's like the very, very early rockets where the exhaust for the rocket was at the front pointed rearwards

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Now that's an interesting diagram  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Goddard's rocket, they've got a full scale replica at the Science Museum if you're in the city.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Cheers mate  :thumbsup:

Last time I was there I have a memory of Young Nick miss-behaving in the children's bit downstairs  :angel: