Bell F-109 VertiStar

Started by CammNut, July 20, 2019, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

No backstory - just that this is my first 3D-printed model.

It's the Bell D188A Mach 2 VTOL fighter project, which it tried unsuccessfully to get designated the F-109. This is a 3D-printed 1/72 model from Shapeways, modeled by Kevin Cespedes who operates as Aerobotix.

The shape accurately captures the US Air Force version of the D188A as it appeared in final form in 1958 as a full-sale mockup. All the doors for the lift system are delineated, and for the underfuselage weapons bay.

It's a single piece of light, hard nylon - and its really tough: you can drop it and nothing happens. No cockpit, no landing gear, and the canopy comes separately as a solid piece of 3D-printed translucent plastic.

But the surface finish is not good. It took many, many cycles of priming and sanding to get to an acceptable finish and even now there are still rough areas. But I got to a point where enough was good enough for me.

I was going to do it in US Navy colors then discovered the naval version had a different tail, so instead out came the Tamiya rattle-can silver. The decals are from a Revell US Air Force F-104C sheet (and went on very nicely), so I named the VertiStar in the Starfighter's honor.

It came out looking way better than I expected when I first unpacked the box from Shapeways and felt the surface finish. It's a cool-looking if complicated aircraft (eight General Electric J85 jet engines - six afterburning in the tilting nacelles and rear fuselage; two non-afterburning as lift engines mounted side-by-side behind the cockpit).

For VTOL, the wing nacelles tilted vertically (the forward sections moving up to increase airflow as in the German VJ101), top and bottom lift-engine doors opened and diverters in the rear-engine exhausts directed their thrust downwards - auxiliary inlets opening on top of the fuselage aft of the wing and exit doors opening under the fuselage.

rickshaw

Nice but it would have been expensive.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

comrade harps

Snazzy and still futuristics (in a Gerry Anderson kind of way). Those outboard engines nacelles are surprisingly slim, but as they're for vertically stacked  J85s that makes sense. Looks sharp! Nice job. :wub:
Whatever.

NARSES2

That does look good  :thumbsup:

Engine pods are crying out for sharks mouths ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Good model!
And thanks for having explained to us the little problems remaining in this new way of model making :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

silverwindblade

Until I read the description a bit more, I thought it was a VJ101. It does have a fair few similarities. Excellent though, and I always like discovering new aircraft or vehicles I hadn't heard of before.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

CammNut

Thank you, folks - an interesting exercise

chrisonord

This is brilliant,  I  keep  looking  at it again and again, a proper X plane that is :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TomZ

I love the finish of this one.
What did you do to smooth out the print?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

CammNut

Lots of layers of Tamiya primer and lots of sanding. The primer was amazingly durable

Cobra

Super Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: this is a Well Done Model! it has some Gerry Anderson Flavor to it & Could be Mistaken for Something a Gerry anderson Series! Thanks for Posting! Dan

Mossie

I never saw this originally, came out looking fantastic!  :wub:  :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

killnoizer

This is the hell of a modell , heavy work, amazing job  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/