Airbus 'Bird Of Prey' concept airliner

Started by Weaver, July 20, 2019, 10:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 23, 2019, 12:47:04 PM
A really smart looking aeroplane, definitely one of the 'I wish they'd have built that' list.  :thumbsup:

Any ideas what the bulges are on the front end of the engines? I've not seen that before anywhere.

Clearance for the engine accessory package? The RB.141 was one of the engines proposed for the
740, also the original big DH.121, and an early drawing published in Flight while the 141 was in
development shows the accessory package mounted atop the engine.
It's at the top of this page:
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958-1-%20-%200338.html

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 22, 2019, 09:14:32 PM
The supposed weight savings of a V-tail is questionable as NASA research has shown that in
order to be properly effective the surfaces need to be at least 1.5 times greater in size than
conventional stabilizers, creating loads that affect fuselage strength, and thus structure weight,
also the rear fuselage needs to be longer to create the necessary moment arm. It ends up being
pretty much a wash in terms of weight, as to drag, V-tail Bonanzas have slightly less drag than
their later conventional tail siblings, yet for the same horsepower the latter are slightly faster.
Make of that what you will.

Pelican tails ala F-23, Global Hawk etc. are evidently a different thing altogether with their own
set of unique features.

Hmmm - not sure that I buy that without reading the research and seeing exactly what they were comparing and why.

Why should a V-tail exert any more forces on the fuselage than a conventional fin and tailplanes when it's doing the same job?  :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

The only good article on the design:
https://www.aerosociety.com/news/exclusive-airbus-uk-reveals-future-green-airliner-vision/

Which makes it clear that it's the work of industrial designer Rob McPherson working from
discussions with engineers at Filton about the possibilities of in development technologies,
the look is pretty much all McPherson.

Thought up by Airbus engineers at the UK's Filton site who were given a brief to imagine the future of
flight without any limits, the Bird of Prey was brought to life by a British superyacht and industrial
designer – Rob McPherson of BezierLab. McPherson remarked: "When I was approached to see if I'd be
interested in creating a vision for a future airliner I jumped at the chance" adding: "The brief was to
create a concept which would be technically possible if we pushed ourselves to the limits, but futuristic
enough to inspire. It was delightful to be encouraged to think freely and could only be done with
such a visionary client!
"

One of his early sketches:

Automated Flying Wing Airliner, note the use of geodetic structure which he also used in the Bird of Prey.
http://www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com/automated-flying-wing-airliner.html

kitbasher

Automated flying thingy concept?  Pah!  All he's done is whif a PM or Revell Horton Ho229!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Tophe

The opinion of my son (10 y.o.) is "the Airbus Bird of Prey is the most beautiful airplane EVER"... ;D ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on July 27, 2019, 09:19:19 PM
The opinion of my son (10 y.o.) is "the Airbus Bird of Prey is the most beautiful airplane EVER"... ;D ;D

There are not many 10 year old's who would disagree Tophe, not many 60 year old's either  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: Tophe on July 27, 2019, 09:19:19 PM

A young man of taste and refinement.  :thumbsup:

I like how the early concept brings to mind the DeHavilland Albatross.