Others uses for an Avro shackleton.

Started by chrisonord, July 30, 2019, 05:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have  an old revell boxed frog shackleton mr3  in the stash  which I was going to  re-engine and  use it as a Honduras navy  patrol aircraft.  But... I have other plans  for  this one now.  In my new book of the RAF during the cold war,  they were being used as  patrol aircraft  along with  Malaysian/ Indonesian borders  during  1964, so perhaps  a counter insurgency  bomber/patrol  aircraft.  My version doesn't have the  20 mm hispano cannons , which  I would have preferred it to have,  so alternative guns will have to be sourced.  Under the wings I was  thinking of rockets and possibly a  pair of Bullpup missiles as they were available  during that time period.  My other  version I was thinking of was a  flying  test  bed for  new and developing British  air to air and air to ground  weapons  of the 1960's . The counter insurgency aircraft  will get the  grey green over light grey  camouflage,  like the victors were painted.  They also  got  used during the same  conflict.  Weapons of that era I will need to look in to also,  as my books are a bit  sparse  on that info.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

I like the idea of an armed counter insurgency Shack'
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

A Shackleton gunship with miniguns in tghe flanks...? Why not? Could also have circled over the Falkland Islands and suppressed local groudn resistance during landing or SAR operations?

PR19_Kit

It's about time those Master guys in Poland did some of turned brass 20 mm cannons for Shacks, I could use a few pairs on my Northrop Northampton.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Keep your eyes open at shows. When the new Airfix & Revell Shacks came out, a lot of folk dumped their old Revellofrog kits and the aftermarket bits they had. I picked up an Aeroclub Mk.3 - Mk.2 conversion for just £2. Turrets, guns, AEW radome, undercarriage, wheels: a lot of stuff for £2.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on July 30, 2019, 09:03:27 AM
Keep your eyes open at shows. When the new Airfix & Revell Shacks came out, a lot of folk dumped their old Revellofrog kits and the aftermarket bits they had. I picked up an Aeroclub Mk.3 - Mk.2 conversion for just £2. Turrets, guns, AEW radome, undercarriage, wheels: a lot of stuff for £2.
I could  do with  some  of the  cannons for the front of this one I  have,   could  have a  go at making some  but  I  think I will  struggle  to get  them right.  Were SNEB pods in service  around the mid sixties  as I have a  few  spare  of those,  or would  individual  rockets  be more fitting. I  have  somewhere a gun pod that came with a  Canberra,  but  looking  at where the nose gear, and  weapons bay are, I  think  I will  struggle with  fitting it.
Chris.

PR19_Kit

How about rocket racks on each side of the nose like they fitted to B-24s and B-25s?

That'd be pretty ferocious.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have not seen or heard of that before  Kit, I  will have to  look  that up.
Chris

kitnut617

Like this Chris, Pavla does/did a conversion of it.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Cheers  Robert,
I take it  they  put them  there for accuracy,  or just  to keep out of the  propellers.
Chris.

kitnut617

The Wooksta!

Shackleton MR2s were plumbed in for underwing zero length rockets.  The attachment points are on both the Revell and Airfix kits.

The Frog kit never came with nose guns, despite being on the box.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 30, 2019, 03:55:55 PM
The attachment points are on both the Revell and Airfix kits.

Hmmm!   so they are --- interesting

McColm

You could go down the Nene testbed route as the pods fitted very well under the Shackleton wings.
A cargo/freighter works as well,  I've gone down the civilian airliner route with a pair of turbofan engines.
The Shackleton does make a good platform for the Grumman E-1 and E-2 radomes.
I even built a twin boom-twin fin version once.
I think a firefighter variant would work as well.

chrisonord

Quote from: McColm on July 31, 2019, 09:38:40 AM
You could go down the Nene testbed route as the pods fitted very well under the Shackleton wings.
A cargo/freighter works as well,  I've gone down the civilian airliner route with a pair of turbofan engines.
The Shackleton does make a good platform for the Grumman E-1 and E-2 radomes.
I even built a twin boom-twin fin version once.
I think a firefighter variant would work as well.
Some  good  ideas there, I  shall consider them.
Chris