Others uses for an Avro shackleton.

Started by chrisonord, July 30, 2019, 05:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Could be used as a  glider or club house,  I don't recommend the flying boat option but if you have two identical kits some kind of twin fuselage combo would work

Weaver

1. There was a Nimrod R.1 for ELINT/SIGINT purposes. so how about a Shackleton R.1 for the same role with a range of different lumps and bumps? The Mk.3's wingtip pods would be particularly useful for this.

2. Shackleton AEW with a different aerial system:

Warning Star-style, with a 'conning tower' and dome
Tracker style with a fixed teardrop-shaped dorsal radome
Hawkeye-style rotordome
Early version of the Nimrod AEW's FASS system, with big radomes at the nose and tail
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Target tug
Camera ship
I think one of the whiffers tried the Navy version with folding wings the same as the Gannet.
I'm building a tailless version.

Weaver

Drone Launcher: the Canadians launched Firebee target drones from Lancasters, and Firebees were the basis of operational recce drones so all sorts of possibilities.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Cobra

have You thought about Using the Shackleton as an ASR Bird? that might work. Hope this Helps. Dan

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

Interesting suggestions.

The Shack was used on ASR/SAR missions, it could (and did) carry Lindholme gear in the bomb bay (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindholme_Gear)

Ditto as a land bomber in decolonialisation 'altercations', IIRC Aden/Oman.

During the Suez crisis it was also used on troop transport duties.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Put a big ring on it like the magnetic minesweeping Wellingtons and call it an early MAD testbed.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Could be used to carry oversized loads.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on August 02, 2019, 10:42:05 AM

Could be used to carry oversized loads.

But a Beverley would make a much better job of it...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Looking back at the multifarious roles filled by the "Great Contra-rotating Nissen Hut in the Sky" as described in sundry histories I have about me, I think about the only thing a Shackleton HASN'T done is interceptor fighter.......or will one of you prove me misinformed?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

Quote from: Rheged on August 02, 2019, 01:25:10 PM
Looking back at the multifarious roles filled by the "Great Contra-rotating Nissen Hut in the Sky" as described in sundry histories I have about me, I think about the only thing a Shackleton HASN'T done is interceptor fighter.......or will one of you prove me misinformed?
Air to air  missile  test bed? Air launched bloodhound  missiles perhaps
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

McColm

My tailless is a 6 engine turbofaned layout,  could be a testbed for missiles.  The nose has been flattened and the Lancastrian tail cone added to the Frog Avro Shackleton MR.3.  The twin tail fins are glued on the ends of the wings.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on August 02, 2019, 01:25:10 PM

Given the size of some of the early Air to Air missile proposals you might have needed something the size of a Shack' to lift them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.