Others uses for an Avro shackleton.

Started by chrisonord, July 30, 2019, 05:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 02, 2019, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: McColm on August 02, 2019, 10:42:05 AM

Could be used to carry oversized loads.

But a Beverley would make a much better job of it...........  ;D

Can you imagine asking Blackburn to build an aircraft to fly chunks of space rocket about.... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 03, 2019, 02:00:34 AM
Quote from: Rheged on August 02, 2019, 01:25:10 PM
Looking back at the multifarious roles filled by the "Great Contra-rotating Nissen Hut in the Sky" as described in sundry histories I have about me, I think about the only thing a Shackleton HASN'T done is interceptor fighter.......or will one of you prove me misinformed?

Given the size of some of the early Air to Air missile proposals you might have needed something the size of a Shack' to lift them.

Buy two of Freightdog's Canberra P.12 conversions, put one radome on each end and all four missiles under the wings... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

A pair of modified to suit Thunderbird missiles could  work. The shackleton would  have  a reasonable  standoff  distance  also.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on August 03, 2019, 02:10:53 AM

Can you imagine asking Blackburn to build an aircraft to fly chunks of space rocket about.... :o

Hmmm, a BeverGuppy? The mind truly BOGGLES!  :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 03, 2019, 03:31:23 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 03, 2019, 02:10:53 AM

Hmmm, a BeverGuppy? The mind truly BOGGLES!  :o :o :o

PMSL - now I've got a vision of a guppy with two huge teeth and a flat tail.... ;D ;D ;D

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Quote from: chrisonord on August 03, 2019, 02:39:19 AM
A pair of modified to suit Thunderbird missiles could  work. The shackleton would  have  a reasonable  standoff  distance  also.
Chris

There was a plan for Vulcans to carry three or possibly four Bloodhounds in the air to air role over the atlantic.  I've seen the drawings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 03, 2019, 03:18:53 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on August 03, 2019, 02:39:19 AM
Chris

There was a plan for Vulcans to carry three or possibly four Bloodhounds in the air to air role over the atlantic.  I've seen the drawings.
I vaguely remember  reading  that somewhere  ont tinterweb, I  think  the shackleton version  would  be plausible even if it was a bit slower,  but it could  stay on station  for quite a while
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Nick

Looking back at the multifarious roles filled by the "Great Contra-rotating Nissen Hut in the Sky" as described in sundry histories I have about me, I think about the only thing a Shackleton HASN'T done is interceptor fighter.......or will one of you prove me misinformed?

Add AIM-9s like they did to the Nimrods in the South Atlantic. Say it's to protect against the Yak-38s in the GIUK gap.

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on August 07, 2019, 01:48:06 AM

Add AIM-9s like they did to the Nimrods in the South Atlantic. Say it's to protect against the Yak-38s in the GIUK gap.

Put a Phantom's AN/AWG-12 in the tail cone and put Sparrows under the wings.

- Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on August 07, 2019, 04:02:00 AM
Quote from: Nick on August 07, 2019, 01:48:06 AM

Put a Phantom's AN/AWG-12 in the tail cone and put Sparrows under the wings.

Aft facing?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

Could be converted into a inflight refuelling tanker or paint it in the Red Arrows display team.