DONE @p.5 +++ 1:144 Boeing 727-301, Aéromexicana, late Seventies

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 01, 2019, 03:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, I had this idea when the GB was announced, but since I normally do not build small-scale airliners I shelved the idea - also because TheChronicOne came up with a very similar (and beautiful) Caravelle design. However, discussions during the Caravelle's build and TheChronicOne's suggestion to build a conceptual sister ship convinced me to tackle this project.

It will take some time until it might materialize, though, because I have to organize the ingredients:
- A Minicraft Boeing C-22C (the military transport version, preferred over the Airfix or the (*shudder*) Revell kit)
- Resin engines for a VC.10 from Braz Models
- A decal sheet for an Aéromexicana airliner, because an aircraft in silver/NMF and orange will certainly look cool and my idea behind this "variant" is a dedicated "hot and high" operations profile

More to come in the future

sandiego89

Great. The 727 is an overlooked aircraft, and Mexican colors are always a treat.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

VEEEEERY interesting.  :thumbsup:

The Revell kit's a -100 anyway, and I doubt Boeing would have made a 'hot and high' version of that shorter model.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK, the Revell kit is a POS. The Airfix kit looked better, but I eventually settled for the Minicraft kit. This seems to have its issues, too, but it comes with recessed panel lines and, foremost, without window openings. The C-22 kit comes with suitable window decals w/o and cheat line underneath, which will be a convenient solution for the planned Mexican livery, which is going to be this variant:

Aeromexico never operated Boeing products within the project's time frame (Douglas things instead), but this won't stop me from telling this neat airliner story...  ;)

PR19_Kit

Yes, the Minicraft's recessed panel lines are a big step forward.  :thumbsup:

Sadly the Revell kit's the only -100 around now as Airfix carved up their original -100 moulds to make the -200, and it's a fair amount of work to go back the other way.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK there's a -100 conversion kit around, even with an IP fuselage? From Bra.Z Models, IIRC, the same company that also produces the Aéromexico decal sheet that will hopefully go into this one.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/june/new-releases/conv_braz727.php

And there seems to exist another conversion set from OzMods, too:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ozmods-ozconv14413-boeing-727-100-short-fuselage--146541

Dizzyfugu

Good news here: the Minicraft kit is here, as well as the decal set. Now I am just waiting for the engines, but this might take a while since they come from Hong Kong...  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new here; the engines are still in the long pipeline from Hong Kong, and I wondered whether I will leave the 727's cockpit glazing translucent or simply paint it over? The Minicraft kit does not come with any interior at all and even provides black decals, I am tempted to go the simple route.

In the meantime I started another (non-BG) project, just to fill the time until the 727 package is complete.  :mellow:

Dizzyfugu

Nothing new here, still waiting for the engines from Hong Kong - rumor has it that the stuff is being held at German customs, and I am afraid that I will have to fetch the engine set at their office.

Interim project has been finished in the meantime, including photo shooting. Editing still pending, though.

Dizzyfugu

Since I haven't heard anything from the customs yet I started another interim project...  :-\

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 13, 2019, 11:54:51 PM
Since I haven't heard anything from the customs yet I started another interim project...  :-\

As you do...

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

With HM Customs and Excise my basic operating procedure is "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir (or more increasingly mam')". I learnt a lesson when one of my mates cheeked one  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 01, 2019, 04:45:54 AM
AFAIK, the Revell kit is a POS. The Airfix kit looked better, but I eventually settled for the Minicraft kit. This seems to have its issues, too, but it comes with recessed panel lines and, foremost, without window openings. The C-22 kit comes with suitable window decals w/o and cheat line underneath, which will be a convenient solution for the planned Mexican livery, which is going to be this variant:

Aeromexico never operated Boeing products within the project's time frame (Douglas things instead), but this won't stop me from telling this neat airliner story...  ;)
I had an early issue of the Revell kit, very crisply moulded, little to no flash, no warping and a dry fit with tape didn't reveal any serious issues. It may be a matter of the older the moulding the better.

Dizzyfugu

Good news! The engines eventually arrived yesterday, but I will pull my current interim project work through before any styrene gets cut here. But now the 727 quad is complete for assembly.  :lol:

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise