Dutch AA Cruiser Celebes

Started by tigercat, August 10, 2019, 04:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Reimagined Dutch light  cruiser with 5.9 inch guns swapped for AA mounts

Weaver

Holy crap - what scale is that?  :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Cool! Looks like 1:72 or even bigger?

PR19_Kit

Certainly large enough for R/C and a couple of brushless motors!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

She is 1: oh my god   or 72 as it is sometimes known

She'll have 16 or 20  guns depending on fit .

NARSES2

Interesting fit of the guns. When I saw AA cruiser I instinctively thought of the RN's HMS Dido with her 10 5.25" guns. Apparently whilst designed primarily as a surface weapon it was surprisingly effective in the AA role and shot down a fair few aircraft in the Med and drove far more off.

The guns could be successfully loaded up to 90 degrees apparently which I've always struggled to get my brains around. You might want to increase the elevation available to yours ? It looks to be about 75 degrees and I think you'd want a bit more in the AA role ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Based on the Dutch (and British) cruisers that actually were converted to AA ships, I'm guessing that these are RN pattern twin 4" guns, probably QF Mk.XVI?

If so, then they have 80 deg of elevation and a RoF of 15-20 rounds per barrel, which is fine for the AAA role.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

yup . I copied turret design from drawing of HMS Badworth  a hunt class destroyer so spot on  although  I think gun barrels are slightly over scale

scooter

Quote from: tigercat on August 10, 2019, 05:27:10 AM
She is 1: oh my god   or 72 as it is sometimes known

She'll have 16 or 20  guns depending on fit .

Mad as a hatter
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

tigercat

Think she'll be able to hold her own against aircraft with 14 4 inch broadside

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on September 20, 2019, 12:12:21 PM
Think she'll be able to hold her own against aircraft with 14 4 inch broadside

Possibly  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.