Aeronavale Firefly FR.1

Started by The Rat, August 12, 2019, 03:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

When in the market for a naval patrol and anti-submarine aircraft during the post-war period, France was presented with the options of either the Grumman TBF Avenger or the Fairey Firefly. The Firefly was chosen, and a number of FR.1 aircraft were transferred from the Royal Navy. They were fitted with a wing mounted radar pod, and flew from both carriers and ground stations. They participated in Operation Musketeer, often being used to aid in attacks by the F4U-7 Corsair. They were retired in the early 1960s when they were supplanted by the Breguet Alize.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? Buy a cheap kit that I know is probably crap, open the box and discover I was correct, and build it. Oh well, It's done.

This is apparently the old Frog kit, later Novo, and now Modelcraft. Crude by today's standards, and possibly even by the original standards. The worst part is the transparencies, which may not be the correct term for what it comes with. There were no instructions or decals with this one, but the only part I was unsure of was the orientation of the aerial; did it slope forward or back? Bah, this is the whiff world, so it can go either way. The parts are totally stock except for the radar pod, which came from a 1/72nd Corsair, and the tailwheel which was purloined from an old Frog Tempest, and glued in place just a few minutes before I found the kit one. Aerial wire is stretched sprue.

Sharkmouth decals came from the MPC boxing of the North American T-6, originally an Airfix mold I believe. Numbers are from the Revell Corsair, roundels from a sheet produced by Carpena. Tail stripes were hand painted.

In keeping with the toy aspect of the times, both the propeller and the wheels turn. Because they should.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TomZ

I like it. It looks beautiful in this colour scheme.
Great result from this kit!

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

That's nice - simple, but very effective.  :thumbsup: And the Firefly looks very good in the all-blue livery, would not look wrong with RAF roundels, too.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Despite the ancientness of the kit, you've made it look really good.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 13, 2019, 01:00:33 AM
Despite the ancientness of the kit, you've made it look really good.  :thumbsup:

Agreed, great work!  Despite the age of the kit, it captures the essence of the Firefly and your work helps bring out the best in it. :thumbsup:

I couldn't remember if France had the Firefly or not and thought the whiff might be the earlier variant, sign of a good one.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Is it my eyes or does the fuselage have a slight curve to it?

Whatever, you made a silk purse out of it.  I love the paint job.  Well done.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 13, 2019, 03:03:19 AM
Is it my eyes or does the fuselage have a slight curve to it?

Looks that way to me & the glazing's a bit shoddy but the build is excellent!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Nice!  I Sabred up a NOVO Firefly a while ago (https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=31452.msg483260#msg483260).  Yes a simple, old kit but I found mine to be a straight forward build regardless of the rhinoplasty.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 13, 2019, 01:00:33 AM

Agreed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

That's looks really snazzy!! Great work. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn Gilbertson

Looks really good in those colours! :thumbsup:

comrade harps

Nice job  :thumbsup:

I've got a broken one in the stash (if will never look as good as yours); still, you have inspired me to give it a go.
Whatever.