1/35 Stalker Diorama

Started by Ramba, August 18, 2019, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramba

I am using the Black Dog small rock base to make a stalker diorama. The base is only 60x60mm. I started by painting the base dark granite then flat brown for the dirt. I dry brushed the granite gray over the dark granite. I then lightly dry brushed the tan earth over the granite gray. I also dry brushed the tan earth over the flat brown.

I am using the Evolution Miniatures 1/35 Stalker figure. I drilled out the original gas mask and replaced with a Live Resin one.

Dry fitting the figure on the base just to see how it looks.

I collected some twigs from the yard to make my own pine trees. I bought some dried/asparagus ferns online for the pine tree branches.

I drilled small holes into the twigs and used white glue on the end of the fern then stuck it into the hole I pre-drilled. The tree is roughly 180mm high.

Testing the location of the stalker figure and first tree on the base.

Second pine tree added for some depth. Almost there. Some small touch ups on the base and then I can move on to the figure. Still not sure what camo I want to put on it though.

Old Wombat

This is awesome! 8)

Have the STALKER games on my PC, I really should play them again ... but I'm a bit hooked on World of Tanks, at the moment. ::)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Mossie

I do like figure work looking good so far.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ramba

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately the project stalled. I was applying some camo decals to the figure and the decals would not conform even with Micro Set and Micro Sol. I even used hot water with a cotton swab to roll over the decals and no use. The printed camo started to flake off the decal paper. Looking into different camo decals and a friend of mine is sending me some others. It won't be for another couple weeks at least until I get back to it.

Old Wombat

I, for one, will be here, waiting! :thumbsup:

Mossie

A couple of tricks, try putting a few drops of the Microsol in the decal water.  Another is to use some fabric softener.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Looking good................and looking somewhat Soviet.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Ramba

Thanks again everyone!

While waiting for new decals for the stalker figure I started another Black Dog diorama base. I cut out the resin tree trunk and replaced it with a real branch from the yard. I chose one with bark peeling off for more character. I used the same technique as I did in the original post for the pine trees but used two different types of ferns for them this time. Also used the same technique for the painting and weathering of the base.

nighthunter

And this is reason #300 of why I don't do figured, I can't possibly match this kind of god-like epicness! Lol!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Ramba

Quote from: nighthunter on August 21, 2019, 07:39:38 AM
And this is reason #300 of why I don't do figured, I can't possibly match this kind of god-like epicness! Lol!

Thank you! I am new to figures and dioramas. I only started three figures a couple months ago but only completed one. I cheated though and used camo decals instead of hand painting. I have always wanted to do figures and dioramas but never had the nerve to attempt them. I said to myself last year, if I don't try it now I never will. The main reason though I started figures was because I don't have a lot of room to display built models. I do mostly 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armor and I have absolutely no room to display them. These two dioramas I showed here are fairly small. The first one with the stalker figure is only 60x60mm and the second one shown is only 100x66mm. They are small enough to display and fit one or two 1/35 figures. 

This is the one figure I completed. Well, not exactly completed, I still need to spray a flat coat and maybe some slight weathering.

I added some small shrubs and grass. Waiting on the figure to show up so again this one is also on hold till then. It is the Legend sniper in ghillie suit. There are two figures but unfortunately I can only fit the sniper himself without the spotter. The flat rock he will laying on is only 27mm wide. If I try to squeeze in the spotter, they will look like lovers hahahahaha!

Rick Lowe

Again, loving what you've achieved with the base!

Old Wombat

"Awesome" is, perhaps, a word I over use but, in these instances, is totally justified; Awesome! :mellow: :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 21, 2019, 05:50:41 PM
"Awesome" is, perhaps, a word I over use but, in these instances, is totally justified; Awesome! :mellow: :thumbsup:

I concur with our Marsupial Colleague.