1/35 Modified German Pattern 75mm-gun Type 5 Tank Kuroi-hyō - FINISHED

Started by Old Wombat, August 20, 2019, 08:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Which side of the road do you drive your tank on?"

"MY SIDE...." :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Nice project!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on August 21, 2019, 04:24:06 AM
I've never thought about which side of a tank the driver sits.  Now i'm going to have to look at making sure all PDRV armour is RH drive.  Which side do Russians drive on?

Probably a significant factor in why the FV432 never sold: driver and commander on the right.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on August 22, 2019, 09:25:38 PM

I've never thought about which side of a tank the driver sits.  Now i'm going to have to look at making sure all PDRV armour is RH drive.  Which side do Russians drive on?

Probably a significant factor in why the FV432 never sold: driver and commander on the right.

Who needs roads where we're going...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

Quote from: zenrat on August 23, 2019, 04:47:17 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 22, 2019, 09:25:38 PM

Who needs roads where we're going...
"Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Doc Brown and every TC and Driver since 1989
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

A few snippets of back story as posted on BtS:

Quote- Construction is going to have been undertaken by several shipyards which, as far as the Allies could tell from reconnaissance, had been forced to shut down.

- As it was only four units were sent to China for battle testing against the Soviets, where they performed better than German experience had led the IJA High Command to expect. All were damaged to some extent during the testing but none incapacitated & they proved to be more than a match for the Soviet T-34-85's they came up against. Those same four tanks were returned to Japan & were part of the forty Kuroi-hyō tank force that helped smash the poorly prepared Soviet invasion of Hokkaido in August 1945.

- Another two Kuroi-hyō were tested during the Battle of Saipan, where the tanks again exceeded expectations. One vehicle was disabled & destroyed in place using a US 500lb bomb which had failed to detonate when dropped on the Japanese forces. The other was driven off the cliffs, into the ocean at an undisclosed location prior to the Japanese surrender & not discovered until 1978 by tourists scuba-diving off the island.

Rick Lowe

Old Wombat

She's been on the painting table this evening & has a coat of Tamiya XF-13 J. A. Green over almost everything (hopefully with the exception of my wife's white Nissan Qashqai).

So, here I sit with nothing to do on her until tomorrow, when I'll check to see if she needs another coat (in which case I'll have to go & buy some more paint - the surface area of the Panther is HUGE!).

Then it's on to the camo; a 50/50 mix of XF-10 Flat Brown & XF-64 Red Brown, followed by a mix of XF-49 Khaki, XF-55 Deck Tan & XF-60 Dark Yellow to make an approximation of the Japanese tan colour (apparently called "Parched Grass").

Followed by chucking all the final bits on & taking a few photo's. May take a few photo's before that, though. :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

OK. The base camouflage is down.

Not overly happy with my rendition of a Japanese camo scheme but I'm leaving it as is. However, I am going to have to do something about the Nisshōki (a.k.a. the Hinomaru), which I'll have to fix by hand.

Anyway, here are some pic's for you to peruse:

Cheers!

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 25, 2019, 04:43:55 AM
Looking good Womby.

Tis indeed.

My brain is struggling to see a "Panther" without a muzzle brake but that's all part of Wiffery (and old age)  ;) :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

You could also add some yellow stripes to the camouflage as an extra Japanese touch? Looking good, even though I have my doubts about the huge and heavy Panther entereing Japanese army service? But I like the concept.  :thumbsup:

nighthunter

Produced by Toyota for the expected American invasion... ;)
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Thank you, gents! :bow:

Quote from: nighthunter on August 25, 2019, 07:34:20 PM
Produced by Toyota for the expected American invasion... ;)

Only if Toyota built battleships. ;)

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 25, 2019, 06:41:29 AM
You could also add some yellow stripes to the camouflage as an extra Japanese touch? Looking good, even though I have my doubts about the huge and heavy Panther entereing Japanese army service? But I like the concept.  :thumbsup:

Not sure about the yellow stripes - I never understood them. Maybe lots of little pink spots? After all, doesn't every battle in Japan occur in Spring with the cherry blossoms dropping their petals to be blown in the wind? :unsure:

My theory is that the Japanese, realising their lack of a suitably resilient & powerful tank, ask for assistance from Germany, after their observers see the first Panthers in production. With their fleet all but annihilated & their shipyards under utilised but still a target for bombing, the Japanese "close" several of the yards down (creative camouflage) which gives relief from the raids & allows the heavy sheet metal expertise to be used building better tanks. However, by the time they're in production & enough have been built to be an effective fighting force, Japan is on the eve of invasion.