English Electric Lightning T55/ FGR 1a

Started by chrisonord, August 20, 2019, 09:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: chrisonord on September 09, 2019, 02:58:09 PM

Haha,  I  have  some  from the  hasegawa sets but  none of them  look  like  aim-9 B's. I have  looked at  photos and recognition pictures,  but the nearest I have look out of scale,  hence  I  jumped out of the pan and  into the  fire. ;D
Chris.

Deciding what an AIM-9B looks like is partially due to perception of what it should look like and how correct your source is.

The Hasegawa weapons set is set III and parts as I listed earlier are 1,2 & 3 from Sprue A

High Planes do a set of two AIM-9B's in a box as well.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on September 10, 2019, 02:59:12 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on September 09, 2019, 02:58:09 PM

Haha,  I  have  some  from the  hasegawa sets but  none of them  look  like  aim-9 B's. I have  looked at  photos and recognition pictures,  but the nearest I have look out of scale,  hence  I  jumped out of the pan and  into the  fire. ;D
Chris.

Deciding what an AIM-9B looks like is partially due to perception of what it should look like and how correct your source is.

The Hasegawa weapons set is set III and parts as I listed earlier are 1,2 & 3 from Sprue A

High Planes do a set of two AIM-9B's in a box as well.

Gondor
I have seen the highplanes aim 9 b's, but at what they cost just for a pair I didn't  want  them that much. With abbit of luck I will be able to assemble  these eduard ones without too much  agro.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on September 10, 2019, 03:20:21 AM. With abbit of luck I will be able to assemble  these eduard ones without too much  agro.
Chris.

Are you selling tickets for the event Chris ?  :angel: ;) ;D

Nah, best of luck mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 10, 2019, 05:50:04 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on September 10, 2019, 03:20:21 AM. With abbit of luck I will be able to assemble  these eduard ones without too much  agro.
Chris.

Are you selling tickets for the event Chris ?  :angel: ;) ;D

Nah, best of luck mate  :thumbsup:
Pmsl, I  might  just do that
Chris

NARSES2

I always find that with my eye sight issues I get the first couple fine and then one of them will just decide it will not behave  :banghead: You get used to it in the end and soon realise that whilst threatening the part makes you feel better it doesn't actually do any good  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A technique I've used with equally small N gauge model railway items is to glue them in place with a trace of Evo-Stick, waiting the requisite 10 mins before putting the parts together, and then run superglue into the joint surfaces with a toothpick as a guide.

I did it only this morning, which reminded me to post it on here of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 10, 2019, 08:15:47 AM
A technique I've used with equally small N gauge model railway items is to glue them in place with a trace of Evo-Stick, waiting the requisite 10 mins before putting the parts together, and then run superglue into the joint surfaces with a toothpick as a guide.

I did it only this morning, which reminded me to post it on here of course.
Thankyou Kit, I will  add that trick to my armoury
Chris.

Scotaidh

You could use some small styrene tubing cut to length (correct diameter to be found at Evergreen.com) and glue on some triangles.  Fill and round the nose; paint the rear end black  ...

No?  Not an option?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

chrisonord

The  B model has some  subtle  detail on them  that I would struggle to  replicate in such a  small  scale,  the nose is nearly flat also
Chris.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 11, 2019, 05:17:46 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on September 10, 2019, 12:49:21 PM

...... and glue on some triangles. 

And THAT'S the nub of the problem!  :o
Yep, that is pandora's box of the situation alright.
Chris

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Cheers  Robert,
I haven't  considered  sparrows  until I  read that, but the early  ones  fit within my time frame.  I might already  have some  sparro 1 and 2's in the weapons  boxes.  :thumbsup:
Chris.

Mossie

Some background, not meant to influence your choice.  I've just re-read the piece in Battle Flight about Red Top alternatives.  The RAF came to the conclusion that Sparrow III needed a continuous wave illuminator that would be too big for Lightning.  The IR Sparrow V would have worked without it but was a tail chaser only.  Another option investigated would have been to fit it Sparrow the Red Top seeker to give it all aspect capability.

There's an image showing potential locations for Genie which was heavily considered (all the American missiles were looked at and Falcon and Sidewinder were found inferior to Red Top).  The outer wing pylon is quite shallow compared to the one that equipped the Mk.50 series, however it's possible it's for illustration only.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

I have  been  considering  Falcons  for another  aircraft  I  have  lined up, the Boulton Paul p120 or p111, mainly  due  to its compact  size  for such a small  aircraft,  the other will receive  wing tip  rocket pods. They  would  be ok I  was thinking  for the outer wing pylons.  I was thinking  that the U.K and Sweden bought  some  and  wasn't impressed with their  performance,  so worked together  to make  them more usable. Sidewinders again due to their size  and  success rate,  would  make  a useful  addition  to a lot of aircraft  back then.  Redtop and firestreak will also  get used on other stuff I have  waiting to  be built.
Chris.