Motorhead Heinkel kit

Started by Nick, September 04, 2019, 02:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 08, 2019, 10:14:38 AM
Erm, I'd be careful of the use of the word "hobbyist" as it has certain... negative connotations.
That was most certainly not intended. I've always thought it's a neutral, descriptive term and can't remember seeing it used as a pejorative - but then again, English is not my mother tongue.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote"When you work realistically, you've got to have a realistic reference."

So where did the extra turret come from then?  :o

Perhaps he mis-read the instructions.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 12, 2019, 07:59:04 AM
Quote"When you work realistically, you've got to have a realistic reference."

So where did the extra turret come from then?  :o

Perhaps he mis-read the instructions.............

I'm guessing he was working from the original Airfix He 111,

https://www.google.com/search?q=original+airfix+heinkel+111&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_7X01clicOmz6M%253A%252CsYBXAmtWMNy8CM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTpKxIdCVT_Ww2rNH09hQ0hvCAnHg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk-pfC3svkAhWPIZoKHRgVAlIQ9QEwAnoECAkQCQ#imgrc=alvv7k8BJA7vuM:&vet=1

which was an -H20 according to the box top and it does have a little round turret. Alright its on the top of the fuselage,
maybe some modellers licence was involved......

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Indeed, he probably was using the H-20 by the time line of his write up, but the aircraft in the artwork has a top turret too, albeit with only forward facing guns by the look of them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

I strongly suspect that the artist knew full well that the painting wasn't accurate, but it was still helpful to have the model to work from. It's like the mind-set here: yes, we do what-if, but you have to understand how the real-life hardware works and was used in order to understand what we're deviating from...

I think he moved the pilot forwards and added the under-nose turret because it was the only way he could get three faces visible in the windows from the dramatic angle he'd chosen.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on September 12, 2019, 04:37:25 PM
...you have to understand how the real-life hardware works and was used in order to understand what we're deviating from......

Yes and no.  Sometimes it just looks better.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

CANSO

Quote from: Weaver on September 08, 2019, 06:04:20 AM
Just noticed something else: In the cover art, the pilot is sitting much further forward than in a real He 111 and the Motorhead logo covers the area where his side windows would be.
Yes, but in reality the heads of the crew are...what... 25% of the Motorhead(s). ;D ;)

ericr

it is sometimes called "poetic licence" I think  ;D

Old Wombat

So, 1/48 heads/busts in a 1/72 Heinkel. Simples! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: ericr on September 17, 2019, 03:30:05 AM

I never thought I would see the word "poetic" used in a thread about Motorhead  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

ericr

Quote from: Gondor on September 17, 2019, 06:55:30 AM
Quote from: ericr on September 17, 2019, 03:30:05 AM

I never thought I would see the word poetic" used in a thread about Motorhead  :-\

Gondor

;D ;D ;D

kitnut617

This thread prompted me to get out my Motorhead CD's   ;D    listening to one now ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Received my subscription copy of Airfix Model World today.
Disappointed they couldn't be bothered to check how to spell Lemmy.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..