What? A Real World subject?!

Started by The Rat, September 04, 2019, 03:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

yes, I have temporarily gone to The Dark Side. had this old kit laying around for years, shuddering at the thought of fighting with my first Limited Run offering.

Rough in many areas, and the sprue gates would better be described as "gates large enough for a barbarian invasion force to breach the castle walls".

Basic glueing puttying sanding swearing has begun. With the gear main position I don't think this would be a tailsitter, but I put  weight in the nose just in case.

Glued the two halves together over the last couple of days. Yes, you read that correctly; couple of days. The gaps were so huge that I did it in stages; glue nose, clamp overnight. Glue tail, clamp overnight. Glue centre fuselage; clamp overnight.

I didn't add detail to the cockpit, just wanted to get something done.

I have a love for the unloved, and the Vought Pirate certainly fills that billing.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

If I have understood the project is a Vought Pirate in Navy service, mass produced, this is more what-if than RW, no? :unsure:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

That kits not much younger than me Ratty  ;)

I like the translucent nature of some of the plastic in particular.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 05, 2019, 07:41:26 AM
I finished one (Special Hibby, IIRC) in Argentinian Navy colors a while ago:

Yep, saw the pics when I was looking for details. Damned fine job!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

Meikraft made some very odd, yet finely moulded kits, apart from the HUMUNGUOUS sprue gates!

I have their Douglas D-558-1 Skystreak and it looks great, I'll just need band saw to cut the parts off the sprues!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2019, 05:48:19 AM

? They only started up in the 80s. :o

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

chrisonord

Looking forward to  seeing what you  do with this,  I have not  paid  much  attention  to this aircraft, but I  quite  like it.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

The F6U is a pretty and compact aircraft. I could imagine one in RN markings, too.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on September 05, 2019, 11:47:00 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2019, 05:48:19 AM

? They only started up in the 80s. :o

You sure ? I could have sworn they went back to the 60's in their origional guise ?  :unsure:

Just checked, and 80's it is. No idea what I was thinking of.....Keilkraft ???  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Working on the fiddly bits. I started out with the determination to do this straight from the box, no after-market parts, nothing from the spares box. Might make some oleo scissors for these landing gear parts, shouldn't be too hard. (He says optimistically...)

chrisonord

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 06, 2019, 02:55:51 AM
The F6U is a pretty and compact aircraft. I could imagine one in RN markings, too.
My thoughts  exactly,  I  want one  now.... :angel:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Scotaidh

Quote from: chrisonord on September 09, 2019, 01:57:13 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 06, 2019, 02:55:51 AM
My thoughts  exactly,  I  want one  now.... :angel:
Chris

Me, too, though I'll probably just slap an A-10 nose on a Seahawk ...  ;) Which would be a Whif, and much better armed, too!  :)  Though I dunno if the Seahawk had the horsepower to get that gun aloft ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Rat

Scratch built some oleo scissors for the Pirate gear, not perfect but close enough for me.