RN Skyhawks

Started by Devilfish, September 06, 2019, 12:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

In 1960 the Royal Navy bought the A-4B for use as a lightweight nuclear strike aircraft, to fly off the Centaur Class light carriers. Designated the Skyhawk S.1, they carried no other stores than just a single Red Beard bomb.
Kit is the ancient Fujimi 1/48 offering, which is terrible! Red Beard is from the Airfix TSR2

20190903_205415 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205423 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205430 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205445 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205450 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

As the Nuclear role was passed to the Submarines, the need for the S.1 diminished and the aircraft were almost scrapped in the early 1970's. However, it was noted that the Americans were using them as aggressor aircraft.  Realising the small size and manoeuvrability made them idea fighters, they were modified using a new Ferranti radar, updated avionics and RWR, mated with Sidewinder and Sparrow missiles to produce the Skyhawk F.2

Kit is the later Hobbycraft 1/48 one.

20190903_205504 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205512 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205531 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205519 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190903_205537 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20190903_205403 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

rickshaw

Interesting.  It would be easier to view the images if you limited their size when posting by adding "width=800" to the first [img] tag.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Devilfish

Quote from: rickshaw on September 06, 2019, 01:51:22 AM
Interesting.  It would be easier to view the images if you limited their size when posting by adding "width=800" to the first [img] tag.

I have no idea how to do that

Dizzyfugu

They both look very good, I esp. like the white "Nuke-Hawk".  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 06, 2019, 02:54:31 AM

As do I  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

I was very surprised by the title, because in my country (France) RN now means Rassemblement National, which is accused to be Nazi (by opponents), and I was very surprised they may have an air force. But I understand seeing the pictures this is Royal Navy, obvious for British readers (only), sorry... :unsure: ;)
Congratulations for the models :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 06, 2019, 02:54:31 AM

I agree, the white looks great

chrisonord

I like  both, they  are so different  to each other  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

rickshaw

Quote from: Devilfish on September 06, 2019, 01:59:28 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on September 06, 2019, 01:51:22 AM

I have no idea how to do that

When you are placing the link to your photos in your post, edit the first [img] tag to be [img width=800].
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Well done - those look great. There's something hauntingly familiar about the first one though...  ;D

Airfix 1/72nd A-4B/P with an A-4C nose conversion and a Red Beard, both from Freightdog (the Red Beard was intended as a Buccaneer accessory)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

We had a debate about "toss bombing" tactics when you posted that didn't we?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

I certainly remember reading such a conversation. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Quote from: Weaver on September 06, 2019, 10:38:17 PM
Well done - those look great. There's something hauntingly familiar about the first one though...  ;D

Airfix 1/72nd A-4B/P with an A-4C nose conversion and a Red Beard, both from Freightdog (the Red Beard was intended as a Buccaneer accessory)

Wow!  Nice work!  I gotta say, though, it kinda looks like the bomb is wearing the aircraft ... Could the A-4 lift that kind of weight?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2019, 04:00:18 AM
Wow!  Nice work!  I gotta say, though, it kinda looks like the bomb is wearing the aircraft ... Could the A-4 lift that kind of weight?

It's not as heavy as it looks. Red Beard only weighed 1,750lb, the Skyhawk's centreline pylon was rated for 3,500lb and with two tanks it still had 3,000-odd pounds to spare in total.

Remember:

1. The original design of the Skyhawk had it carrying a tac nuke on the centreline, so this is it's original mission, not an ad-hoc adaption,

2. A nuclear bomb is a lightweight shell, mostly full of elaborate, low-density electro-mechanical gubbins, not a solid 'lump' of explosives and steel, so they're often lighter than they look.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones