RN Skyhawks

Started by Devilfish, September 06, 2019, 12:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on September 06, 2019, 10:59:09 PM
We had a debate about "toss bombing" tactics when you posted that didn't we?

If we did, then it's not on the build thread and I can't find it elsewhere.... :-\
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nighthunter

Love the idea of turning the Skyhawk into a fighter, did it with an Alternate Universe/Whiff country, a few times. What is that nose for your F.2?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Scotaidh

Quote from: Weaver on September 07, 2019, 05:00:45 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2019, 04:00:18 AM
Wow!  Nice work!  I gotta say, though, it kinda looks like the bomb is wearing the aircraft ... Could the A-4 lift that kind of weight?

It's not as heavy as it looks. Red Beard only weighed 1,750lb, the Skyhawk's centreline pylon was rated for 3,500lb and with two tanks it still had 3,000-odd pounds to spare in total.

Remember:

1. The original design of the Skyhawk had it carrying a tac nuke on the centreline, so this is it's original mission, not an ad-hoc adaption,

2. A nuclear bomb is a lightweight shell, mostly full of elaborate, low-density electro-mechanical gubbins, not a solid 'lump' of explosives and steel, so they're often lighter than they look.

I suppose ... though you'd be limited to 2G manouvers.

I'm not any kind of weapons expert, especially nukes, but I do know that uranium and plutonium are (somewhat) heavier than lead, and in my (admittedly limited) experience no military has never been very interested in building light (as in not-heavy) equipment ...

It's just that to me it appears rather as I imagine would look a 4000-pounder under a Spitfire.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Here's a pic of a Skyhawk (and an early A-4B at that) carrying a Mk.7 tac nuke, a fission weapon roughly comparable to Red Beard:

Mk.7
Yield: 8 to 61 kt using different 'pits'
Length: 4.62 metres
Diameter: 76 cm
Weight: 1680lb

Red Beard
Yield: 15 to 25 kt
Length: 3.66 metres
Diameter: 71 cm
Weight: 1750lb

Mk.84 LDGP bomb
Yield: 945lb of high explosive
Length: 3.28 metres
Diameter: 46 cm
Weight: 2000lb

You can see from this that:

a) If a Skyhawk can carry a Mk.7, then it can carry a Red Beard,

b) Both tactical nuclear bombs are longer and fatter than the conventional bomb, while being a little lighter.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2019, 10:26:41 AM

I'm not any kind of weapons expert, especially nukes, but I do know that uranium and plutonium are (somewhat) heavier than lead, and in my (admittedly limited) experience no military has never been very interested in building light (as in not-heavy) equipment ...

They're denser than lead, but you don't need much of either to make a (VERY) big bang!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on September 07, 2019, 06:00:21 AM
Maybe
If we did, then it's not on the build thread and I can't find it elsewhere.... :-\

Hmmm.  I distinctly remember a thread discussing it any around the same time as you posted your "Nukehawk".
Maybe Chris has adjusted The Matrix since that time.
Or I really do have mad cow disease.

Moo!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on September 08, 2019, 05:13:05 AM
Quote from: Weaver on September 07, 2019, 06:00:21 AM
Maybe

Hmmm.  I distinctly remember a thread discussing it any around the same time as you posted your "Nukehawk".
Maybe Chris has adjusted The Matrix since that time.
Or I really do have mad cow disease.

Moo!

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 07, 2019, 03:21:47 AM
I certainly remember reading such a conversation. :thumbsup:

If you do, I do - & I've never been to the UK. :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Very cool on all counts !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Now,  here is a simpleton's question.  What are the major differences between marks of the Skyhawk?  I mean how does an A-4B differ from an A-4E versus say an A-4M?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

A-4B: J-65 (Sapphire) engine, no intake splitter plates, short tin nose, small canopy, three pylons.

A-4C: A-4B with a longer nose with a very compact radar in it.

A-4E onwards: J-52 engine, longer nose, avionics hump (A4-F original, refitted to many A-4Es eventually) bigger canopy (refit?), five pylons.

A-4M: USMC version of A-4E wih optical Angle Rate Bombing System in nose (same as AV-8B), big canopy, fin top and side-of-nose ECM aerials.

LOADS of avionics differences between sub-types and refits.

Notable foreign variants:

Singapore: A-4B/Cs originally, 30mm ADEN guns in some aircraft, double-bubble canopy trainer completely unlike normal two-seater, re-engined with F-404s eventually to make A-4SU Super Skyhawk.

Israel: "dustbin" tailpipe extension, 30mm DEFA guns in underwing fairings.

New Zealand: APG-66 radar in new nose plus upgraded avionics in "Kahu" upgrade.

Argentina: A-4AR FightingHawk: surplus A-4Ms upgraded with F-16-derived avionics including APG-66 radar.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

OK, so as I suspected, I can't use an Airfix A-4B to represent an A-4G?  :banghead:

Weaver

Not without a lot of work, no.

The A-4G was based on the A-4F but without the avionics hump, so you want an A-4Eish kit that has the hump as a separate part. IIRC, the Hasegawa one is like that.

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on September 10, 2019, 05:51:23 AM
OK, so as I suspected, I can't use an Airfix A-4B to represent an A-4G?  :banghead:

That'd be a "no", mate, & the only A4-E(or F/G) I can find readily available in 1/72 on line is the HobbyBoss one at $52.50 from BNA Models, & I have no idea how accurate that kit is.

My old mate, FAAMAN, over on BtS used to be a Skyhawk basher back in the day, he'd have a fairly good idea of what kits work best.

Of course, if you want to go big (1/48) there are several E/F & E/F/G versions available. ;)

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 10, 2019, 06:38:44 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on September 10, 2019, 05:51:23 AM

That'd be a "no", mate, & the only A4-E(or F/G) I can find readily available in 1/72 on line is the HobbyBoss one at $52.50 from BNA Models, & I have no idea how accurate that kit is.

My old mate, FAAMAN, over on BtS used to be a Skyhawk basher back in the day, he'd have a fairly good idea of what kits work best.

Of course, if you want to go big (1/48) there are several E/F & E/F/G versions available. ;)

1/48?  Only suitable for conversion to 1/72!  Bah, get thee behind me, satan!   :banghead:

I understand the Hobbyboss kit has problems with it's slats being closed (a no.no when they are parked apparently).   I have built the Hasegawa/Frog and the Esci/Italeri ones in the past.  I was just checking to see if the Airfix was suitable. 

Old Wombat

Yeah, the slats aren't powered, so they fall forward on the ground.

Quote from: wikipediaThe leading edge slats were designed to drop automatically at the appropriate speed by gravity and air pressure, saving weight and space by omitting actuation motors and switches.

Actually, Ed Heinemann designed a neat little aircraft (just don't tell FAAMAN I said that ;)).

You'll notice the differences here, I think;

A-4B

A-4G

The A-4G has a different engine, longer, pointier nose, kinked IFR probe, 2 more wing hard-points & a couple of extra antenna fins