A whif of a less belligerent nature - Skyraider Sky Cab; Finished pics page 9.

Started by zenrat, September 10, 2019, 03:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Groovy!
And an interesting background story too. Interesting characters. I lost what happened to the lady with the spyders.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Glad I decided to check in on this thread.  What a treat! I really love this idea and it looks like you're doing it justice.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Thanks folks.
I finished construction of this today by attaching the small main UC doors to the landing legs.  It's not quite done as it needs some washes and weathering and some boarding steps scratchbuilt.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Yes very nice. Always been intrigued by that aeroplane, aver since I saw one at the Hamilton ( ON ) show as a kid. I can only imagine what one could get up to in there lol
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

This is finished...

...but i have to paint the stairs.  So there will be a delay before beauty pics.

Which will give me time to write some lies about it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

DogfighterZen

This looks great, something i'd probably never think of but i do like it! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Frankston Skycabs AD-5 SkyCabRaider

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

As the GAL 50 Porthus's used by Frankston Skycabs on their government subsidised Skybus services approached the end of their usefull life the management started to look around for a more modern eight seater aircraft to replace them.
The PDRV government had, when acquiring Skyraiders from the shady European arms dealer known only as Smallbeer1 for conversion to floatplanes, been forced to accept a number of demilitarised2 two seater AD-5 aircraft as part of the order.  The Central Committee of the Air Force deemed these to be unacceptable for the intended revenue protection use and made them available to approved non-military users.  Frankston Skycabs (by now a subsidiary of the zenrat industries owned VicAir and therefore very definitely approved) saw the potential of the now empty rear cockpit and snapped up them all3.

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Phillip Island based Bassview Fabrications carried out the conversion work fitting bench seats along both sides of the rear cockpit, installing luggage stowage racks in the fuselage and cutting a door into the port side behind the wing before painting the airframe in Frankston Skycabs' trademark primrose yellow with green/white chequers.
The deleted centreline hardpoint was replaced in order to carry additional fuel tankage.

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

By the time the SkyCabRaiders replaced the Porthuses the Frankston to Adelaide Sky Bus run was being performed by larger faster aircraft but in addition to use for on demand "taxi" use there was still a requirement for eight seaters on the timetabled rural services.  Some cut back in services resulted due to the SkyCabRaider not having the rough strip ability of the Porthus although many country airstrips were improved under a government scheme to ensure public air transport remained available to the rural population.

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

SkyCabRaiders soldiered on in Frankston Skycabs service until the late seventies when spare parts started to become a problem.  Some were converted to crop sprayers4 with the rest being used for parts to keep them in the air.  A few still perform this role to this day while others, reverting back to their pre PDRV life, have found a niche as the perfect "warbird" for the family that wishes to fly together5.

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

1 Interpol sources indicate he or she may operate from Flanders.  But other than that, have no information they are willing to share regarding identity.  Smallbeer is believed to have a casual connection with zenrat industries.
2 Wing guns and hardpoints removed along with all electronic equipment from the rear cockpit area.  It was the lack of hardpoints which made them, in the eyes of the CCAF, unsuitable even though it would be relatively easy to replace them.
3 While all available AD5s were signed out from government hands the number put into service by Frankston Skycabs is lower by four.  Despite photographs appearing to show these aircraft at their skunkworks hanger at Dadswell Bridge, zenrat industries refuse to address the issue stating it is a clerical error and any further questions on the matter will be referred to the Secret State Police and anyone who knows what is good for them and wants to keep their teeth and fingernails will drop it.
4 Very over-powered but able to spray vast acreages in record time without reloading or refuelling.
5 One New Zealand owned example even being converted into a pop-top camper – the renowned Flying Kombi.

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.
Hasegawa Douglas AD-5 Skyraider.
Home made transfers.

Douglas AD-5 Skyraider  - 17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Cobra

Superb Build & a Really Cool Idea! any Plans to try Something Similar like an ASR Version? Keep up the Superb Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

zenrat

Thanks folks.

No plans to build another of these Cobra.  I really don't like them much (I prefer the slimline single seat Spads) but I had the kit and then Maxmwill suggested we should build less belligerent models and so Frankston Skycabs got another aircraft.
This won't be their last, although I have run out of Primrose Yellow paint.
Fred

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

FANTASTIC Fred!  :thumbsup:

But I reckon you ought to build the Kiwi 'Flying Combi' version.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Very nice Fred  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think some windows in the van would've been good though   ;D 

One of the things I used to see at YYC, the buses taking passengers to the ground loading gates for the little regional aircraft. The airport in their wisdom, decided these gates had to be on the taxiway side of the apron  :banghead:  I occasionally had to sit out there making sure the passengers didn't wander off and mingle with the contractors I was looking after  ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?