Main Menu

Mig 28

Started by Devilfish, September 17, 2019, 01:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

In 1986 in the Indian Ocean, naval aviators from the USS Enterprise encountered the Mig 28 for the first time.  Shortly afterwards, a USN vessel lost power and drifted into the territorial waters of a hostile nation, and Mig 28s, armed with Exocet missiles were sent out to intercept it.  Luckily, on this second occasion, the Enterprise sent its F-14s to defend the stricken ship.

Kit is the Monogram 1/48 F-5E with home made decals.

20190916_223608 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190916_223616 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190916_223620 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20190916_223628 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:   I love it....  been seeing variations of this lately.... coincidences abound.    Great work!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

Maybe that's the next Group Build - build your version of the MiG-28? 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

nighthunter

To be fair this whiff is completely feasible in reality. After the Vietnam War, the Soviets got their hands on a lot of Republic of Vietnam AF F-5's and tested them out. Who's to say that they didn't have MiG reverse engineer the F-5 into the MiG-28...  ;)
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

ChernayaAkula

Nice one!  :thumbsup:

The backstory sounds familiar.....  ;)

Quote from: nighthunter on September 19, 2019, 08:29:54 AM
To be fair this whiff is completely feasible in reality. After the Vietnam War, the Soviets got their hands on a lot of Republic of Vietnam AF F-5's and tested them out. Who's to say that they didn't have MiG reverse engineer the F-5 into the MiG-28...  ;)

:thumbsup: The interesting whiffery comes once the Soviets take the design and evolve it. A Soviet equivalent to the F-20, kinda. RD-33 engine (MiG-29), GSh-23 cannon under the belly....
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Devilfish

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 19, 2019, 03:36:22 PM
Nice one!  :thumbsup:

The backstory sounds familiar.....  ;)

:thumbsup: The interesting whiffery comes once the Soviets take the design and evolve it. A Soviet equivalent to the F-20, kinda. RD-33 engine (MiG-29), GSh-23 cannon under the belly....

Hmmmmm....I have a Monogram F-20 that I bought alongside this F-5E....I mean Mig 28

zenrat

In OTL they had no need to, they already had the MiG 21 filling the same role (and looking better doing it).  However in whiff world anything is possible.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Devilfish

I feel a "Mig 30" coming on..... :wub:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Devilfish on September 20, 2019, 04:17:36 AM

Ah feel thuh need - thuh need fer some MiG-ish Foolishness!

Tophe

Quote from: Devilfish on September 20, 2019, 04:17:36 AM
Maybe I could try to transform this MiG-28 model into a zwilling MiG-56 zwilling (picture with Photopaint software), no?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

How about going the other way?
MiG 19s with stars and bars as they looked when playing capitalist running dog fighters F<insert appropriate unused number here> from the Pravda Studios movie Top Gunski...
Fred

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2019, 06:33:38 PM
MiG 19s with stars and bars as they looked when playing capitalist running dog fighters F<insert appropriate unused number here> from the Pravda Studios movie Top Gunski...
:-\ it is not "playing" but very true: in Russian, "Pravda" means "Truth"! ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Snowtrooper

Quote from: zenrat on September 20, 2019, 04:13:45 AM
In OTL they had no need to, they already had the MiG 21 filling the same role (and looking better doing it).  However in whiff world anything is possible.
In OTL the Soviets found the F-5E superior to the MiG-21 though ;)
https://warisboring.com/the-soviets-grabbed-an-american-f-5-fighter-from-vietnam/

Notice the authentic MiG-28 colour scheme, too ;D
Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2019, 06:33:38 PM
How about going the other way?
Nah, the Soviet school of filmmaking relied either on the real thing (cf. in the clumsy propaganda movie, Coordinates of Death, US hardware is portrayed by what was captured in South Vietnam) or "the Airwolf method", recycled newsreel footage (cf. Solo Voyage, supposedly one of the most expensive Soviet action movies; on the other hand, infantry weapons in the hands of main antagonists cannot be faked by such method, but at least they aren't wielding AK's - the "Americans" in the film use StG 44's and ZB 26's (the father of its better known licence version, Bren) as infantry weapons).

Outside the movies, though, the Soviets did have an aggressor program too. Very little documentation exists of what was the "1521st Aviation Base Unit" (officially just a waystation for planes going to and from Afganistan), but they used MiG-21bis, MiG-23MLD, and later MiG-29A/C/UB as dedicated aggressors, originally painted in standard camo but modified by the unit to better resemble Americans. Established in 1974 though, so MiG-19 was probably not used very much anymore if at all by them. HOWEVER, earlier in timeline the VVS had used planes from various squadrons/regiments so who knows how they were painted so stars-and-bars '19 is at least semi-plausible.
https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/soviet-aggressor-program/
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-unknown-story-of-the-soviet-mig-29-aggressor-unit-tasked-to-simulate-usaf-f-15-fighters/
http://www.ww2.dk/new/air%20force/division/schools/1521tsb.htm