G

Hawker P1216

Started by Geoff_B, January 03, 2005, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Geoff, that is just an amazing piece of scratchbuilding, easily your best so far IMO.  Fantastic!

As for colour scheme, I would go for either a FAA "special" or the height-of-the-cold-war grey/green wraparound or a weathered desert pink :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff_B

Cheers Guys

She's far from perfect but as a prototype she appears to be coming along OK and may attract some interest on the stand. Be interesting what the Harrier/JSF SIG will make of her.

Anyway i'll crack on and get her finished then i can get the initial parts created again for the 2nd version, possibly even look at doing the 1214 X-wing as well from the parts created, although that may be a little more different than the 1216 components  <_<

Probably going to go FAA style with AMRAAM & ASRAAM, with suitable tail art, leaving the alternative schemes to you guys.

Geoff B B)  

Aircav

Cool Geoff, you've done it again  ;)  :D  :D  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Patrick H

Amazing, simply amazing. wonderfull piece of work.
Although I feel there's something missing here like a vertical stabilazer between the tails.  But that's just my personal taste.
Still, awesome piece of work and eeeuuuhhhh, me want one please, please, please?   :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Martin H

Well guys, haveing seen the original model in the flesh and haveing had a close look at it about 3 hours ago, u guys wont be disapointed when joe gets #2 for casting.

Form an orderly Q at the front door please.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Probably going to go FAA style with AMRAAM & ASRAAM, with suitable tail art
Just remove the 'probably' part, and you've got it going on, baby !

:wub:

Those skinny AMRAAM look soooo good on SHARs !

:party:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Swamphen

retro_seventies

Fantastic Geoff!

Great loking little plane - and there's something very emotive about FAA colours too, especially to a generation that missed out on REAL carriers in the Navy, and had to make do with watching Top Gun for navy kicks instead of having a nice british film about stiff upper lips and fast navy jets.

Nobody get touchy about the Top Gun thing either, i love tomcats as much as the next man (if the next man touches himself when he thinks about them).

Once again Geoff, great stuff!

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Tophe

QuoteAlthough I feel there's something missing here like a vertical stabilazer between the tails.  But that's just my personal taste.
A central tailplane is an interesting idea. You must know why there is none, like on the Yak 141 VTOL: to avoid the hot gas from the jet pipe, still keeping a very-rear tail, but... our John Howling Mouse has another answer: T-tail! A central tailplane would be welcome on top of the fins. Good idea, I think. Will Evan our dear engineer agree?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Patrick H

Indeed, one would have problems with the exhaust gases when a central tailplane was placed between both tailbooms. However when placed on top of both fins it would make for an entirely diffrent thing. It reminds me a bit of the the Sea Vixen but  with added "big mouth" air intake.

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

elmayerle

QuoteAlthough I feel there's something missing here like a vertical stabilazer between the tails.  But that's just my personal taste.
A central tailplane is an interesting idea. You must know why there is none, like on the Yak 141 VTOL: to avoid the hot gas from the jet pipe, still keeping a very-rear tail, but... our John Howling Mouse has another answer: T-tail! A central tailplane would be welcome on top of the fins. Good idea, I think. Will Evan our dear engineer agree?
Yes, a T-tail would avoid the exhaust gas impingement problems, but I'd definitely want the horizontal to extend outboard beyodn the verticals on each tailboom to prevent blanking at higher AOA's.  This is a fighter and loss of pitch control is not a good thing (ask Voodoo ro Starfighter pilots).

I would be interested, though, in seeing the structural issues such a design would raise as I suspect the design of the vertical fins would require decided changes.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Quoteask Voodoo or Starfighter pilots

Yeah, but us Canadians solved that problem.....just drive faster !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Davey B

I am now over the shock of Thor's insanely beeeeutiful scratchbuilding skills.

Ahem: WANT ONE!!!!! WANT ONE NOWWW!!!!!

It's passed now.

Scooterman

Form an orderly Q at the front door please.
Oh oh oh!  Me me me!
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I'll bring the beer if anybody else is camping out on Martin's door!!!   :cheers: Where do you live Martin?  Can I come in and use your w/c when nature calls? :P  

Captain Canada

Beer ?

Camping ?

I'm in !

But can we wait till it warms up a wee bit ?

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?