Bristol super superfreighter.

Started by chrisonord, September 23, 2019, 06:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This has been sat on the window sill waiting  for decals and clear coat to finish  it off, for too long.  I will get there  eventually.  Kit is the airfix 1/72nd scale one  with scratch build  turbo prop engines and  contra props  from a 1/100th scale  tu-95.
Its back story is that the aircraft  was bought  from a reclamation yard by a film company  and rebuilt with new engines and  more up to date avionics,  and painted in Soviet  era desert colours  with red stars  and serials on it. The film was to be a Rambo type  spin off,  and the aircraft  was the personal  transport  of a Russian General  overseeing  the incursion of an  African  country.  The aircraft  carried his personal  UAZ staff car and his personal  guards. Before the  film could  be finished  it ran out  of money  and the aircraft sat on an airfield  in central  Africa  awaiting  its fate.  The aircraft was  spotted  by a Honduras  navy  Captain  who was in the country  on "official  business ", and  a deal was struck  to have  it shipped  back to Honduras.  The aircraft  was virtually zero hours,  as it had been  meticulously  restored to  full operational condition,  and rhe engines  made a lot  more capable  than it was in its previous life.  The aircraft  was a welcome  addition  to the Navy aircraft  corps,  and was fitted out  as a flying  hospital.  Bigger  wheels and tyres  were fitted  to cope with  rough landing  strips,  and a triage tent made to fit on to the outside  of the opened  cargo doors.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SiFw5NnqH3JrdZRc6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfDH7V8pmsZ6Zs9r7
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

You've just got to love contraprops  :wub: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 23, 2019, 07:09:16 AM
You've just got to love contraprops  :wub: :thumbsup:
I think it would have been rude  not to put them on really  Chris  :wacko:
Chris

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

chrisonord

McColm

Interesting,  I would have put a pair of Rolls-Royce Griffon engines taken from any Avro Shackleton kit. My list of future builds is growing fast :banghead:

chrisonord

Quote from: McColm on September 23, 2019, 12:20:45 PM
Interesting,  I would have put a pair of Rolls-Royce Griffon engines taken from any Avro Shackleton kit. My list of future builds is growing fast :banghead:
It wouldn't be  modernized then, I  put turbo props on it to make it  a bit more 21st century.
Chris

McColm