Supermarine Cobrafire

Started by andrewj, October 06, 2019, 09:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

Following on from the success of the Spitfire , the Supermarine company were asked to develop a heavier version to act as a bomber destroyer . Joe Smith was tasked with this and came up with a novel solution , using the wings and tail of the spitfire combined with a newly designed fuselage carrying a mid mounted engine and a heavy cannon in the nose .
       The engine was the then new RR Merlin XX and the cannon was an American 37mm with 40 rounds of ammunition, [ one well aimed round was enough to bring down a bomber], The aircraft also had a then novel tricycle undercarriage. Four .303 machine guns were carried in the wings , the Supermarine " Heavy Spitfire " or Cobrafire as it became later known entered service in the second half of 1940 just as the Luftwaffe switched to attacking British cities at proved devastating in the defensive role.  Later they were used in the ground attack role across Europe .

Andrew

Old Wombat

Sorry, not getting the images, just "broken link" boxes. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Wow - must have been a job, moving the undercarriage wells and all ... Well done!
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Very nice!!!! Looks good like that for sure.
-Sprues McDuck-

comrade harps

Whatever.

Weaver

Got your pictures to show I think...  <_<

This looks great, really nice job. :thumbsup: Can you share any build details?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Nice assist, H.  :mellow: 

Indeed, I'd like to know a little more about it as well.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Spitfire meets P-39! Nice work! Looks totally plausible.  :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kerick on October 06, 2019, 06:21:39 PM
Spitfire meets P-39! Nice work! Looks totally plausible.  :thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking on, too!! I would have liked to see a side opening door.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Hmmm....... how would this work on a Mustang?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

That's the dog's danglies, that is! :thumbsup:

Brilliant idea & execution! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

comrade harps

Quote from: kerick on October 06, 2019, 06:36:37 PM
Hmmm....... how would this work on a Mustang?

Something like a P-63 Kingcobra?
Whatever.

andrewj

Thanks everyone , especially Weaver , I tried but couldn't get the pics to show , how did you do it?.
          The Model is a "Bitsa" , build entirely from the spares box , a MkXVI fuselage , not sure  about the wings , various old bits of canopy and a spare prop from an Airfix MkI. The hardest part was the wheel wells , I cut a square out of the lower wing half and reversed it to give the wider track, the rest was Miliput and sandpaper.  Oh yes , it's in 1/48 scale, glad you enjoyed it.

Andrew