B-47 Maritime patrol bomber

Started by chrisonord, October 06, 2019, 11:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on October 07, 2019, 05:48:56 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on October 07, 2019, 04:14:29 AM
Harold  has hit the nail on the head with the engine problem,  I  would  like to give it better  engines  but what to use to represent them would be something that could  put  dampener on the build.  Aftermarket engine pods seem a bit thin on the ground,  unless I  could  replicate  something from styrene  tube. A wing clip and  possibly  some  sleek  wingtip tanks would make it look a lot different  too.
Chris

The engine problem might not be as great as you think:

J-47:
Length: 3700mm
Dia: 933mm

Olympus 100 (I THINK the 200 was the same size):
Length : 3230mm
Dia: 1000mm

The Oympus is shorter that the J-47 and only wider by 67mm, which works out to under 1mm in 1/72nd scale.
Marvellous,  very little  modification to  the engine pods needed  then really,  and omit  the outer engine pods. I was wondering if  a pair of Bullpups of the larger  variety  could be  used, as they were around in the 60's,  or a pair of fictitious  missiles  could be carried  under each wing. Sage mullet ASM anyone?  ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

You could always hack a 1/48th real missile about to get a fictional big 1/72nd one.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

I think  a bit of both could be used in that department.  It's  looking  like  the B-47 could  be saved  from the stash cull after all  :wacko:
Chris

Lord_Voyager

So, put it in Blue... Put a crazy long MAD boom on it's tail... Perhaps some sea-skimming anti ship missiles on the stores positions...

Or,

See if you can find one of those circular rotating radar arrays and turn it into a NAVY AWACs birds... Don't forget the folding wingtips and the arrestor hook!

chrisonord

Hmm, that would  be a sight to behold. A B-47 landing  on an aircraft carrier.  One  thing for sure,  it wouldn't  be coming  off the deck in the same manner it landed ;D. I think  to keep  it within time frame , white over  dark grey as per the shackleton,  although  the all over  white with sea green  upper surfaces  (I
think) as used on the MR1 and liberator  aircraft  after the war would look good.

kitnut617

Quote from: kerick on October 06, 2019, 06:35:09 PM
The Olympus engines sound like a great idea.

Why not go the whole hog and eliminate all the wing engines   ;D

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 07, 2019, 08:55:08 AM
Quote from: kerick on October 06, 2019, 06:35:09 PM
The Olympus engines sound like a great idea.

Why not go the whole hog and eliminate all the wing engines   ;D

Maritime  patrol  glider?? ;D ;D

chrisonord

That's the  sole aircraft that  Canada  had for testing the Orenda engine  on isn't it? Apparently  the aircraft  had to be scrapped  after it was sent  back to the states,  as it bent the air frame.
Chris

kitnut617

No, from what I've read there was so much modification done to it that when it was returned to the USA, they couldn't justify the cost to return it to standard. So it was just sent straight to Monthan-Davis boneyard.

But then if you have a pod both sides, you could definitely eliminate the wing engines altogether.  Just to confuse things though, it was designated a CL-52 ---- it was used to test the Orenda Iroquois to be used in the Avro Arrow.

chrisonord

Ah right,  I read on Wikipedia  that the fuselage was twisted  due to the engine  testing.
Chris

kitnut617

Not read the wiki article Chris, I've got the "Arrow Head" book. It doesn't mention anything about the frame getting twisted that I can remember. It did have to run the port side engines at full blast to counter the thrust though -- (as there was only one pod installed)

PR19_Kit

With two Iroqois back there it'd have been like a US 'Blinder'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on October 07, 2019, 05:48:56 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on October 07, 2019, 04:14:29 AM
Harold  has hit the nail on the head with the engine problem,  I  would  like to give it better  engines  but what to use to represent them would be something that could  put  dampener on the build.  Aftermarket engine pods seem a bit thin on the ground,  unless I  could  replicate  something from styrene  tube. A wing clip and  possibly  some  sleek  wingtip tanks would make it look a lot different  too.
Chris

The engine problem might not be as great as you think:

J-47:
Length: 3700mm
Dia: 933mm

Olympus 100 (I THINK the 200 was the same size):
Length : 3230mm
Dia: 1000mm

The Oympus is shorter that the J-47 and only wider by 67mm, which works out to under 1mm in 1/72nd scale.

Olympus 201 (Vulcan B. Mk 2)
Length: 3210mm (126.4")
Dia: 1060mm (41.75")

- Jane's ATWA 1968 - 69

chrisonord

The engines should  still fit the pods then really,  in a whiffy sort of way.
Chris

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones