B-47 Maritime patrol bomber

Started by chrisonord, October 06, 2019, 11:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

What about 6x TF-34s or CF-34-3s?  Use 4x A-10 pods...prodded, and 2x singles.  Or even if you just use 4x TF-34s, you get, roughly, an extra 800-1000 lbf and a marked improvement in fuel (and oil) consumption.

The things I think about on the train...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

chrisonord

That could work  for an in service  during the 1970's  version,  I think turbo fan engines would  look  good on it.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

jcf

Based on the description the engine installation would have been similar to that of the B-47C/XB-56,
but with shorter pylons and the engines not as far forward.

chrisonord

Nice find John,  and  incorporates a lot of the ideas I was thinking.  I  am thinking of putting some extra windows in the fuselage of mine too, maybe a couple of  observation  blisters in different places too if I have some  spare.
Chris.

PR19_Kit

It looks very odd with the inner engines hung off the side of the pylons, but the other side has the outriggers there of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2019, 03:15:07 PM
It looks very odd with the inner engines hung off the side of the pylons, but the other side has the outriggers there of course.
It  certainly does  Kit, looks like I  have  glued them on :rolleyes:
I think will go with the two  pairs of podded engines on mine,  I might  make them  slightly wider so as to accommodate the Olympus  engines.  The pylon for the outer engines  could have  permanently fitted  fuel tanks on them. Mine  will be for attacking shipping,  an3 not  submarines,  so won't be getting any of the  associated  gubbins for that job. Several  30 mm cannons,  possibly  four of,  in the nose, and  a large  search radar either  retractable or  built in to the  nose.
Chris

jcf

As to the wings, many B-47s went through a wing strengthening mod when the low-level bombing role was introduced.

simmie

Of course, you could just use the XB-47D as the basis of a patrol bomber.
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

chrisonord

Whilst  rooting out some  ordnance for my RAF F-105 F, I  come across a few incomplete  RB 04 anti ship missiles,  which on my future build  at least would  be in service  around the same time. A pair of these hung from the wings  could  work.  I  just  need to scratch build  the outer fins, as each has one  missing.
Chris.

sandiego89

Quote from: chrisonord on October 06, 2019, 11:24:49 AM
The tandem layout  would be a problem for  long  haul  missions  so a different  cockpit would be better.  I will  see what I have in the spares boxes that could be used.
Chris

I think the tandem layout is fine.  The B-47 had a walkway along the port side that the pilot and co-pilot could climb down from their seats and get a break, change positions etc. The B-47 conducted very long endurance missions with refueling. 

Here is my recent B-47 build with 4 engines from the Group Build.  Four TF-33's (JT3D) provided more power than the original 6 engines.  Maybe the RAF could nick a few engines from BOAC 707's.... 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 08, 2019, 07:14:01 PM

Here is my recent B-47 build with 4 engines from the Group Build.  Four TF-33's (JT3D) provided more power than the original 6 engines.  Maybe the RAF could nick a few engines from BOAC 707's.... 

Actually most of BOAC's 707s had RR Conways, but they bought a couple of ex-Seaboard World freighters later on that had JT3Ds
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That's a very nice build Sandiego,  finding  a det of those  engines in 1/72nd scale  could be a problem.  Where did you get those from please?
Chris

sandiego89

Quote from: chrisonord on November 09, 2019, 01:18:24 AM
That's a very nice build Sandiego,  finding  a det of those  engines in 1/72nd scale  could be a problem.  Where did you get those from please?
Chris

Mine was 1/144 sorry. 

Engines sourced from the Minicraft E-3 AWACS

Side by side engines.  Larger TF-33 on bottom next to exacto knife, smaller J-47 as originally equipped on a real B-47 (outer engine) above. 

Build thread https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46902.0

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

chrisonord

Cheers for the reply,  I think I will  stick to the original plan  with mine and  say that they are  rolls Royce Olympus engines.  They  should  give it a bit more  top end poke too, and be readily available during the  timeline of this  aircraft.  :thumbsup:
Chris

kitnut617

Chris, the Airfix 1/72 Boeing E-3D kit AWAC has those engines as an option, it also comes with the CF56 engines. (at least mine did)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike