Out of Retirement - The Rules

Started by NARSES2, October 08, 2019, 06:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Just one small point lads.

Please remember that this is the What If site and therefore, in my personal view, some of the possible and perceived problems could be solved by a well thought out, constructed and conceived backstory ? Or am I overly simplifying the thing ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 12, 2019, 02:35:42 AM
Just one small point lads.

Please remember that this is the What If site and therefore, in my personal view, some of the possible and perceived problems could be solved by a well thought out, constructed and conceived backstory ? Or am I overly simplifying the thing ?

Chris

You are not oversimplifying, your statement  is whiffery personified.

As one who prefers making backstories to molesting styrene , if anyone has apparently insoluble difficulties here, pm me and I'll try to write a way out of your problem for you  if I can.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

strobez

Just reading through the rules discussion is making my head spin... I've missed out on the last couple of GBs, so I was hoping to join this one, but I haven't got the foggiest idea what kind of entry I could bring to the table...
Thanks!

Greg

nighthunter

Wowsers, all this, and all the extra it'll cost me is some decals, and it will get a different paint job. I could enter this, and it solves a serious conundrum I was having. 😁
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Quote from: strobez on October 13, 2019, 08:23:58 AM
Just reading through the rules discussion is making my head spin... I've missed out on the last couple of GBs, so I was hoping to join this one, but I haven't got the foggiest idea what kind of entry I could bring to the table...

At the end of the day the basic principle is relatively simple.

Ask yourself this question. "In my scenario has the type been retired ?". If the answer to that is yes then build it, with or without modifications as long as what you build is still recognisable when compared to the starting point.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2019, 06:53:23 AM
2. Quite simply your build must be of an aircraft (...) that has been retired from active service and then for whatever reason brought back from retirement and put back into service.
I am not sure I can participate, as rule 2 is not clear enough for me:
interpretations of it (2AB: I could participate; 2C: not for me)
2A: a dreamy creation has never been in service, but it may be seen as a new assembly of old parts from service (military or commercial) for possibly being used again, "in service" if successful in flight test;
2B: a crazy aircraft impossible to actually fly may be seen as retired from the drawing board (into garbage) but then later used as a basis for a toy for children (home "service" called scale 1/72nd but with no related scale 1);
2C: if no military roundel no commercial colours, there is no "service"; complete absurd dreams are rejected, as not realist enough.
So, 2A-2B or else 2C? :unsure:
(PS. I take my antipsychotic drugs again but they have not started to work yet, it seems) :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Tophe

I'll try and spell things out more clearly next week, but I'm taking a bit of a break from all this discussion as I'm really not in the right place to think about it at the moment.

Chris

PR19_Kit

It's turning out to be a real can of worms this time.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yes, it's really tough to find something and cook up a good story. It has been a while that I found myself to discard so many potential ideas for a build - but that's not a bad thing.  ;D

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 14, 2019, 06:33:51 AM
Quote from: strobez on October 13, 2019, 08:23:58 AM

At the end of the day the basic principle is relatively simple.

Ask yourself this question. "In my scenario has the type been retired ?". If the answer to that is yes then build it, with or without modifications as long as what you build is still recognisable when compared to the starting point.

Chris, I think that is a great approach and explanation. I think a few folks are thinking about this too hard, or perhaps in the excitement that normally accompanies a group build discussion just thinking out loud. I don't think folks need to overthink it. Your proposed rules make perfect sense to me.

In my view the US Navy reactivating the F4U Corsair for service in Vietnam would fit the theme, even though Corsairs were lingering on in service with Honduras and as warbirds in civilian hands. In a similar aspect a hunter being re-activated by Lebanon as a fighter would fit the theme, even though they were being flown by Quasi-military organizations, as target tugs and on the air show circuit at the time. Likewise An armored or airborne Calvary unit could revert to horses even though horses were still being used in other applications.

As for the fictional and drawing board stuff I really don't think it fits the theme quite as well, but with the proper story it might. As for prototypes maybe. Dragging the XB-70 out of the museum as a test platform or bomber surely would.

I think there are plenty of subjects out there both military and civilian that could fit the theme. Drag out a Concorde, a covered wagon, a F-1 car, a school bus...

Keep up the good work Chris and mods! Thank you. Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Tophe

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 16, 2019, 02:14:44 PM
As for the fictional and drawing board stuff I really don't think it fits the theme quite as well, but with the proper story it might. As for prototypes maybe. Dragging the XB-70 out of the museum as a test platform or bomber surely would.
Thanks for this temporary answer (to be confirmed?): it seems 2C, so (actual "service" scale 1 is required).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Mossie

I can add another fairly simple approach:
Take an idea forward from the era it was primarily used in.
This works for prototypes and drawing board stuff and ignores a handful of a type carrying on decades later in niche roles.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 16, 2019, 02:14:44 PM
...An...airborne Calvary unit could revert to horses...

You should see the images I currently have running through my head.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

More like this...

...but with horses.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..