Out of Retirement - The Rules

Started by NARSES2, October 08, 2019, 06:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right here's the proposed rules for the GB

1. This GB runs from the 1st November 2019 until midnight of 31st January 2020, all timings are local.

Extensions will be considered in the normal way nearer the date.

2. Quite simply your build must be of an aircraft/vehicle/ship/space craft/weapon etc that has been retired from active service and then for whatever reason brought back from retirement and put back into service. This can be in either the original or a modified state. If modified it should still be recognisable however when compared to the original. The build is not restricted to military types but includes both civil types and civilian users.

Finally if your choice of subject has more than one user and one of those has retired it, but the other ones have kept it in service, you are perfectly entitled to build a model of the type as brought back into service by that one user that retired it. As an example, when the R.A.F. retired the Harrier it remained in service with the U.S.M.C. and the Spanish A.F. Therefore for the purposes of this G.B. you could build a model of a Harrier brought back into service with the R.A.F. even though it had remained in use by the other services.

3. Models, drawings, artwork and stories are all eligible.

4. Models already started are allowed as long as major building work has not started before the GB begins. Check with the Moderators.

5. Finished models and profiles to be posted (with picture and link to build thread) in the finished builds thread within the overall GB thread in this Board. Please do not post comments in the finished builds thread.

6. Have FUN.

8. Moderators are Tom Z and Crude but Effective.

9. There is no rule 7, don't EVER ask about rule 7 (O.K. so sometimes it's another rule that doesn't get mentioned, but I like to mix it around a bit).
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

zenrat

So the way I read rule 2 para 2 is this.  The end user must be someone who had previously used the subject of the build and had retired it.  We can't bring something out fo retirement to be used by a new user?

Using the example of the Harrier - It would be OK to bring them out of retirement for use by the RAF but not for the RAAF as they hadn't used them prior to them being put out to grass?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I don't think it says that, it doesn't say it HAS to be the original operator, it just says it CAN be.  ;)

That doesn't rule out other operators who dragged them back from the brink, repainted them (maybe with kangaroos on their roundels....) and flew them.   ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on October 09, 2019, 02:50:41 AM
So the way I read rule 2 para 2 is this.  The end user must be someone who had previously used the subject of the build and had retired it.  We can't bring something out fo retirement to be used by a new user?

Using the example of the Harrier - It would be OK to bring them out of retirement for use by the RAF but not for the RAAF as they hadn't used them prior to them being put out to grass?

That's a GOOD question, because it may severely limit creative approaches! But if I read rule 2 para 1, the revival is not confined to the original operator(s), it could be something different?

TomZ

I will discuss this with my co-dictator co-moderator and we will come back on this one.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 09, 2019, 02:56:53 AM

That's a GOOD question, because it may severely limit creative approaches!...

Which is why I asked it.  ;)

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 09, 2019, 02:56:53 AM
...But if I read rule 2 para 1, the revival is not confined to the original operator(s), it could be something different?

It is not specifically stated.
Simplest thing might just be to drop rule 2 para 2 altogether and just pretend I never asked the question.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Lord_Voyager

Two more quandaries about  the specifics:

- An F-8 crusader flying in Filipino markings after being bought second hand from the American Navy is OK?  Would the QF-8E be acceptable because it was originally American, sold to the Philippines, returned to America and then rebuilt as a Mach two target drone?

- The Battlestar Galactica... from the rebooted show. It was front line service, about to be turned into a museum ship and then forced back into service.

True, rather esoteric and pedantic questions but it could turn the line of creative builds from the obvious to the sublime...

-Hank

TomZ

This was discussed in the high council of moderators and we graciously decided to allow bringing back a retired craft into a service that has not used it previously. So RAAF Harriers are OK (as long as they are ex RAF or RN airframes of course  ;D), as are Filipino Crusaders, East German FW-190s, etc.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Those mods are GREAT guys, I've always said so of course...........  :bow: :bow: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Can we consider prototypes that have been tested, put into storage and then brought out for a new purpose?

Like taking the XB-70 out of the USAF Museum and using her for hypersonic missile launches, for example?

Buck Rogers Space Shuttle was frozen in orbit for several centuries - repair it with laser weapons etc.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TomZ on October 09, 2019, 12:50:18 PM
This was discussed in the high council of moderators and we graciously decided to allow bringing back a retired craft into a service that has not used it previously. So RAAF Harriers are OK (as long as they are ex RAF or RN airframes of course  ;D), as are Filipino Crusaders, East German FW-190s, etc.

TomZ

This is helpful in many ways, thank you for the clarification.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

And there was me thinking defining the rules for this GB would be relatively simple  :rolleyes:  ;)

I'd better start thinking about the next one now  ;D

No, seriously lads The Moderators are addressing your questions and will get back to you  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.