Has anyone ever tried to build a model of the Jefferson Airplane?

Started by Default Setting, October 16, 2019, 12:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Default Setting

I don't mean the band, exactly, but rather the iconic if unlikely aircraft that graced the cover of the LP After Bathing At Baxter's, penned by Ron Cobb.

Since it's essentially an Edwardian-style house with wings and engines, I'm guessing that the aerodynamics would be... tricky at best. But I've seen videos of equally improbable things getting airborne, so I'm wondering whether a modelling enthusiast has ever tried to build a scale model of that plane and made it fly.
The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Never seen one, but I'm sure anyone who's built an inter-war French bomber will find it hauntingly familiar...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Default Setting

Quote from: Weaver on October 17, 2019, 06:31:00 AM
Never seen one, but I'm sure anyone who's built an inter-war French bomber will find it hauntingly familiar...
Indeed, the position of the central engine is reminiscent of the Farman Jabiru.

The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

Gondor

Why not these?

I'm sure Tophe would love the first one

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

Given enough thrust even a brick will fly. The F-4 Phantom proved that!
The Jefferson Airplane would be quite a challenge!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

"Has anyone ever tried to build a model of the Jefferson Airplane?"

Kris Kuksi springs to mind.  Although it's bit normal for him.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Default Setting on October 17, 2019, 07:21:52 AM

Indeed, the position of the central engine is reminiscent of the Farman Jabiru.

I've often wondered if the position of the central engine of this thing was  in order to dispel the smell of the pilot's garlicky breath ?  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Point of interest, just where did the pilot sit/stand whichever?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on October 18, 2019, 07:14:27 AM

Point of interest, just where did the pilot sit/stand whichever?

In the upper bay window would seem to be the obvious place, with his flight engineer in the LOWER bay window where he can be kicked into action when needs be.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

perttime

People have built all sorts of flying models. This one looks quite feasible. Just a lot of work to get all the details looking convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTnnXhcmSgY

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on October 18, 2019, 09:36:15 AM

People have built all sorts of flying models. This one looks quite feasible. Just a lot of work to get all the details looking convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTnnXhcmSgY

Yes indeed, I know a guy who has an R/C Wheelbarrow. I mean it looks like a wheelbarrow but it flies. He also has one of those 'Snoopy's Sheds' and other weird things too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

They're really quite simple to build. The name was born back in those heady days (literally) of the 1960s, when people would light up a roll of paper which held a certain intoxicating substance. When it had burned down very short, but you didn't want to throw away that precious herb, you used a 'roach clip'. If you didn't have one, then you would take a paper match, separate the paper layers at the torn off end, and spread them just past the half-way point. The rolled paper was then held in that, which made it look like a little airplane. Did somebody name Jefferson first come up with the idea? Don't know, but the name has been passed down through history. So they're really quite simple to build.

(I will neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have any knowledge, or lack thereof, regarding the item and the reason for its use.) :rolleyes:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2019, 08:38:20 AM

In the upper bay window would seem to be the obvious place,

Nah, that's where the Hookah Smoking Character would sit!  :rolleyes:

Cats are not real.