Gloster Meteorite Ground Attack Fighter - finished pics page 7

Started by zenrat, October 21, 2019, 03:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Oh yeah ! Works for me ! I was hoping that they had got into the action, and proved how effective they were. Also sorry to hear about one getting shot down by friendly fire  ;D

Love the look of this one. That rear 3/4 shot really does it for me. I'm saving this idea.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

That looks great!  :thumbsup:

Surprised they didn't name them the Gloster Wizard at some point since they'd been under Alderley Edge. Along the same lines as 'Gnome', 'Svart' would have been appropriate for a dweller under Alderley Edge, however I fear it would have been vetoed too on the grounds that service humour would not treat it kindly... ;)

Plane trees have actually been the inspiration for cammo uniforms: the guy who designed the earliest Waffen SS schemes took inspiration from them.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2020, 07:23:12 AM
Love it, a veritable tour de force.  :thumbsup:  :wub:

But I'm thinking that RR may have objected to the final name as well, as they called their land based Merlin used in tanks and hefty trucks by the name Meteorite too.......  :-\

Ummmmmmm, Rolls Royce didn't object for the same reason they didn't object over the use of Meteor - bothe the Meteor and Meteorite were not aircraft engines,
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on January 19, 2020, 09:48:29 PM

Surprised they didn't name them the Gloster Wizard at some point since they'd been under Alderley Edge. Along the same lines as 'Gnome', 'Svart' would have been appropriate for a dweller under Alderley Edge, however I fear it would have been vetoed too on the grounds that service humour would not treat it kindly... ;)

Plane trees have actually been the inspiration for cammo uniforms: the guy who designed the earliest Waffen SS schemes took inspiration from them.

We were read the Wierdstone of Brisingamen at junior school by the class teacher.  Some of it stuck with me but not all.  I should read it again.
My sister doesn't live too far from The Edge.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on January 20, 2020, 01:43:33 AM

We were read the Wierdstone of Brisingamen at junior school by the class teacher.  Some of it stuck with me but not all.  I should read it again.

The bit that stuck with me was where they're escaping from the svarts by going down a narrow tunnel, driven through solid rock, miles underground. The tunnel is just big enough for the human kids and the dwaves, but they can only proceed by pulling themselves with their fingers and pushing with their toes, so progress is slow. The backs of their heads and their noses touch the ceiling and floor simultaneously: if they were to bend their arms under their bodies, they'd get trapped and not only would the trapped one die, but everybody gehind them too. One of the kids is pushing a four-foot long sword ahead of him. Half way into their journey, the tunnel does a 180 degree bend downwards, and the sword gets stuck. The kids pushing it has to wriggle and maneuver it with his heart in his mouth for ages to get it round the bend and in the process, he turns himslef upside-down. This turns out to be an advantage however, since after the bend, he's the only one face-down: everybody else is on their backs, with the dust from the ceiling falling into their mouths and eyes...

As a borderline claustrophobe, I read that with more sense of horror than just about anything else I've ever read, and I still consider it the prime example of how to induce horror without monsters, supernatural factors or jump-scares.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on January 20, 2020, 01:43:33 AM

I've read it to several junior school classes, and without exception they have appreciated the story!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

loupgarou

Quote from: Weaver on January 20, 2020, 03:24:51 AM

The bit that stuck with me was where they're escaping from the svarts by going down a narrow tunnel, driven through solid rock, miles underground. The tunnel is just big enough for the human kids and the dwaves, but they can only proceed by pulling themselves with their fingers and pushing with their toes, so progress is slow. The backs of their heads and their noses touch the ceiling and floor simultaneously: if they were to bend their arms under their bodies, they'd get trapped and not only would the trapped one die, but everybody gehind them too. One of the kids is pushing a four-foot long sword ahead of him. Half way into their journey, the tunnel does a 180 degree bend downwards, and the sword gets stuck. The kids pushing it has to wriggle and maneuver it with his heart in his mouth for ages to get it round the bend and in the process, he turns himslef upside-down. This turns out to be an advantage however, since after the bend, he's the only one face-down: everybody else is on their backs, with the dust from the ceiling falling into their mouths and eyes...

As a borderline claustrophobe, I read that with more sense of horror than just about anything else I've ever read, and I still consider it the prime example of how to induce horror without monsters, supernatural factors or jump-scares.

Mygoah, what dreadful stories to read to young kids.  :o It makes me even more glad I wasn't born in your islands.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on January 21, 2020, 05:22:14 AM

Mygoah, what dreadful stories to read to young kids.  :o It makes me even more glad I wasn't born in your islands.

If I'm honest I've never heard of it. When I was at infants school the teacher read Beatrix Potter to us and at primary we would have read Enid Blyton  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I remember "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" as something I've read, many, many, many years ago but in school we also got "Snugglepot & Cuddlepie" & "The Magic Pudding".
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

Weaver

Quote from: loupgarou on January 21, 2020, 05:22:14 AM

Kids LOVE being scared.
Kids LOVE dreadful stories.
Kids are NOT innocent little angels.

Kids need scarcy, dreadful stories to start acclimatising them to the realities of the world, if hitting adulthood isn't going to be a traumatic shock to them. We're seeing the consequences nowadays of kids being wrapped in too much cotton wool for too long...

- Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Damn this little bird is cool. I came back around for another look.
-Sprues McDuck-

AndrewF

Very good! And the name changing story is an accurate rendition of how these things work in business/law.