A-1K Skyraider, -Desert Storm- USMC ***FINISHED, Pg. 9***

Started by TheChronicOne, October 24, 2019, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I've been wanting to do some Chocolate Chip camo on something and Fred mentioned the Skyraider in 1991 idea so I'm going to mash them together to create this Marine Corps A-1K.

Going to use the old innacurate Airfix kit. I love it because the innacuracy is no longer an innacuracy but a DESIGN FEATURE of the new A-1Ks.

Whoever had this before me lovingly put it in this bag like this. Bag has to go, though. Has weird orangey colored dusty stuff all over it... looks VERY unsavory so I trash that and put this stuff into new bags and drop it into the nice sturdy MPM FH-1 box I have that has just been vacated.

I don't know if I'll clip anything out or not. I just wanted to find the thing, really. I have other projects needing attention and I'm not going to allow myself to start something new until  decent progress has been made on all three of those projects. Looks like most things are free of the sprues anyway.... I see flash and gates, though.  :rolleyes:   I sure do like how the former owner put it all in that tidy inner bag and labeled it, however!  :thumbsup:

It comes wit' these rockets I guess they are and a bomb. Stuff isn't entirely period correct.... . ....  or is it? I happen to know for a fact that the United States used Desert Storm as a clearing house for old ordnance of all sorts so it seems perfectly plausible that even if some of it is "out dated" that it would still be on loadouts.

I guess that's bout it.  ;D :unsure:

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Well, without an extensive dedicated (& expensive) electronics upgrade, the good ol' A-1 wouldn't have been able to take advantage of modern weapons, anyway, so clearing out stockpiles of old weapons is a perfect role for it. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

If I'm looking at the pic correctly it appears to be a WW2 style bomb just below the prop. I think that would be out of date even for 1991. Some Mk 82 dumb bombs and 2.75" rocket pods would work quite well however.
Then there were some clever paint schemes on Marine helicopters.......

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: salt6 on October 24, 2019, 08:10:00 PM
Do you see the chicken on the front smoking a cig?

Thing's a bloody "Rorschach" test! There's a mermaid or similar towards the rear, too! :o

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Chicken? Looks like a lion smoking a crack pipe to me...

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 24, 2019, 08:20:48 PM
Thing's a bloody "Rorschach" test!...

In which case our replies prolly say a lot about Steve and my relative states of mind.   ;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 24, 2019, 08:20:48 PM

Thing's a bloody "Rorschach" test! There's a mermaid or similar towards the rear, too! :o

It's winged so probably an angel, although
a harpy would be more in keeping with the bird
theme.
;D

Old Wombat

jcf

Something to remember on creating your load-out is that the
temps in the area had a negative effect on the performance
of aircraft, which would possibly be even worse for a piston
engined machine like the Skyraider limiting what it could
actually get off the ground.

TheChronicOne

Good point... maybe I can do a bit of "fixing" on that aspect with the back story. Perhaps the "K" has some sort of improvements in this area to account for it. I'm not going to get too crazy, anyway. I'm just going to use the weapons supplied with the kit and I think that bomb is probably the heaviest bit. The rockets can't weigh all too much, considering.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Pretty "normal" temps that time of year. Probably need to be more concerned about dust and sand then.  ;D   "Sandy."  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 25, 2019, 11:36:29 AM
Good point... maybe I can do a bit of "fixing" on that aspect with the back story. Perhaps the "K" has some sort of improvements in this area to account for it. I'm not going to get too crazy, anyway. I'm just going to use the weapons supplied with the kit and I think that bomb is probably the heaviest bit. The rockets can't weigh all too much, considering.

Toilets don't weigh much either.

;D ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

A couple of Laser Guided Bombs would do the trick. Modern upgrades and all that.

Chemical Toilet Warfare is a bit unfair...

PR19_Kit

Didn't someone do that underwing toilet as a resin add-on a while ago?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit