A-1K Skyraider, -Desert Storm- USMC ***FINISHED, Pg. 9***

Started by TheChronicOne, October 24, 2019, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Systems go on the paint, then! Right now it's all I have between me and finishing this. Nothing else can be done what so ever until I paint. This is often the case but usually there's some other aspect that can be worked on but not this time. All the rest is finished already.

The X inches of precip was what I was always taught, as well. The evaporation bit is a new one on me & I can see the merit but also some things for concern. It seems to me that that would make a bunch of places into deserts at certain points but not at others. 10 inches or less rain a year is a quantifiable thing whereas excessive evaporation might happen at one point and not at the next, depending on weather patterns thus would seem a less reliable way to gauge it.  Science class....   ;D   We get it all around here!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Rough draft for the camo.  I have to dial in the ratios. I need to expand the base color and fix some shapes.

Very rough but should start to shape up after the next couple passes. Calling it quits for today, though.  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!! Pretty decent! Kind of looks pretty neat as is. BUT, I think much of this is TOO LARGE and would look out of scale or something. I'm going to have to tinker with it a little bit and just fly by the seat of my pants. Good thing is, if it all goes tits up I can just prime over it all and go again.  :wacko:     I hope I can just make necessary adjustments for now, though. I need to reduce in size almost everything aside from the base color.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I painted some more on this late yesterday but CBA to post about it. I woke up this morning and decided to be a lazy slob all day so I've already been painting on it again but this is what it was as of last night:

We be shrinkin' on the camo patches. Shrinkin' some more just now, I'll post pictures later. I think I might stop adjusting the size of it all and get the edges smoothed out and get the coverage consistent then re-evaluate it all. I might go ahead and see what things look like with a few chips at this point.

Look at the wing.... there's the one color illusion going on with the paint. Can see it with the Mk. 1, too, and I verified that it IS the same paint and same shade.  The outside of the wing tip and the big patch of paint at the wing root is all the same!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Day three of paint. I'm continuing to refine everything but I think it's at a point that I like it. Next I'll try my chips in a small area to see if it looks OK. If not, I'm contemplating just leaving it.  :wacko:

I've even started weathering it but I stopped because I need the chips down to weather them, too, if I decide they look right on here.

That's it for today! I'll try a little more tomorrow I suppose.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

No way can you back out of chipping it now.  Get some on and you'll love the look. 
You've got Vanilla, Coffee, Chocolate and Caramel flavours there, you need the White Chocolate chips to finish it off.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

WILCO.

Proof of concept... seems to work just fine. 

-Sprues McDuck-

Riksbar

"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

TheChronicOne

It does!! :o It's striking....  it's the little black shadows that make the difference. It's like watching Bob Ross.. the whole painting looks sketchy then suddenly near the end it all comes together.  ;D   This has been a fun little project.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

TheChronicOne

Painting is done on the top side! Next I have to finish the bottom side and do some more weathering.... I'll do a wash after clear coat but I can do a fair amount right now, too. I have a little trick...... I don't have any pastels but I DO have a ton of incense sticks that come in all variety of colors. So, I can just burn one of those and collect the colored ash for weathering powder!   :wacko:

:lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Thanks, hoss!!! I wasn't sure I was up to the task to be honest.  Learned some stuff on this one that will definitely help in the future.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-