A-1K Skyraider, -Desert Storm- USMC ***FINISHED, Pg. 9***

Started by TheChronicOne, October 24, 2019, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Yeah they did, and it is quite expensive for a stool.   ;D

You know... I heard they nearly destroyed the aircraft when it came time to drop that shitter. They're not exactly designed for freefall.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Kuwait and Iraq were the targets, the attacking aircraft were based hundreds of kilometers
away, in Saudi Arabia, the Emirates etc. I worked with a guy at Helipro, we worked on S-61s, who
had been a USMC CH-53 crew-chief. He was there for Desert Shield and Desert Storm and related
that the temps did make a difference on performance, even during the "cool" winter months, of
course they weren't operating from fancy Saudi airfields like the USAF.

TheChronicOne

Vietnam was really hot a lot of the time, too. I don't think they let that stop them loading stuff on Skyraiders. Less humidity in Persian Gulf region I'd imagine, but the extreme heat is nothing new to Skyraiders and the environment they operated in.
-Sprues McDuck-

Snowtrooper

Quote from: kerick on October 24, 2019, 06:47:34 PM
If I'm looking at the pic correctly it appears to be a WW2 style bomb just below the prop. I think that would be out of date even for 1991. Some Mk 82 dumb bombs and 2.75" rocket pods would work quite well however.
The last M117 iron bombs, which have not been manufactured since 1960's after Mk80 series was introduced, were dropped by B-52's in 2015. So it's quite plausible that there would be still have been some WW2/Korean vintage ordnance in stock in this alternate (or maybe even the real) 1991 and rather than blow them up in a designated dumping ground it would be cheaper and more useful to drop them on the OPFOR with the only available asset still capable of delivering such relics (which of course wasn't available in OTL anymore).

TheChronicOne

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Saving the world, one bomb at a time!   :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Some of the Hasegawa Skyraider kits come with the dunny.  I have two in the stash.
This release...
Skyraider A-1H:J Vietnam War by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...has two of this sprue...
Skyraider A-1H:J weapons sprue by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...which also includes a 500lb bomb.
This release (which I think is the current one)...
Skyraider A-1H US Navy by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...does not have the extra sprues meaning that in typical Hasegawa fashion it is very low on ordinance.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I am not surprised.  Ordinances (laws) would be quite thin on a Carrier.  Ordnance OTOH...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

Isn't the dropping of items of glazed sanitary ware frowned on by various parts of the Geneva Conventions?  Anyway, shouldn't it be a kitchen sink ............
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

It was what they had available! IIRC the toilet was being replaced and crewmen were about to toss it over the side when the squadron guys grabbed it and welded up a frame so it could be attached to the pylon. Now if a kitchen sink was being replaced I'm sure someone would have grabbed it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

I've always wanted a Hasegawa Skyraider. I had no idea that one boxing there came with the shitters!! That makes the price they go for MUCH more tolerable.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: rickshaw on October 27, 2019, 06:57:00 AM
I am not surprised.  Ordinances (laws) would be quite thin on a Carrier.  Ordnance OTOH...   :banghead:

;)

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 27, 2019, 12:33:26 PM
I've always wanted a Hasegawa Skyraider. I had no idea that one boxing there came with the shitters!! That makes the price they go for MUCH more tolerable.

The Navy boxing (no dunny) was what I thought was a very reasonable $AU 16 brand new last year from HLJ.
It's still only $AU 18 now (Dollars got worse).  That's, what about $US10?
https://hlj.com/1-72-scale-douglas-a-1h-skyraider-u-s-navy-hsgbp6
It's on backorder but they IME they will eventually get you one.

There must be a release with the specific transfers for the dunny bomber as the kit that has that sprue (the Vietnam War one) has the toilets marked as "not required".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Well now that seems odd... sort of like my recent Panther with recce nose but no recce markings. But, I guess it makes sense and it went right over my head yesterday but the box depiction was of an AF bird anyway. So now I do wonder which specific one has the stools and transfers both? Probably the release just prior to the "Vietnam War" realease perhaps?
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Well Brad, it's this boxing you need to look for.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Ahhh!!   Ok!   "Special bomb"   ;D ;D   

EDIT: Have a go at the artwork.  :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-