Panzer '46 - Panther Bridgelayer 1/35 Mk2

Started by buzzbomb, October 29, 2019, 03:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Been a while since I contributed, so as I have the mojo happening :thumbsup:

Picked up a Tamiya Panther G.. well most of it. My buddy used the turret and some of the hull top for a Panther Turret pillbox. I got the rest.
So what to do with a Panther with no turret.

One thing I have not seen much of in the Panzer 46 genre is support vehicles, so here with go with a Panther Bridgelayer

Oh look, the top of a M-113 fits

Cobbled together a bridge, I decided that given the exposure to Allied Bridge Layers, the Germans would be a bit more elegant later on

Started on the supports and launching gear. Having to clear how hatches open changed the plan a few times.

Becomes a big sucker

Bridge gear with no bridge. Using the Churchill example of a swing arm, but my minds eye sees more cable launching than hydraulic.

Given the weights and swinging over bits,  I thing I will put a spade on the front as well, besides that might look cool as well.
Let's pretend that they fixed some of the drive train issues in '46.

zenrat

Cables = winches.
Do you have some, will you be scratching them or will they be inside armoured boxes and thus hidden from view?

It looks very promising.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Neat idea, BT! :thumbsup:

As I said over on BtS: Perhaps they used the Jagdpanther final drive, which was, apparently, better designed & fixed most of (if not all) the Panther's drive-train issues. :unsure:

If you're not going hydraulics, might I suggest a chain-drive? Cables & winches for an over-lift system like that would require a launching system & a recovery system (or having to re-run the cables through different pulleys between operations), whereas a chain-drive, like hydraulics, just needs to be reversed.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 29, 2019, 06:36:40 AM
If you're not going hydraulics, might I suggest a chain-drive? Cables & winches for an over-lift system like that would require a launching system & a recovery system (or having to re-run the cables through different pulleys between operations), whereas a chain-drive, like hydraulics, just needs to be reversed.

Chain drive you say... hmmm  :unsure: what you say has some merit as experiments today did reveal the exact issue.
Not really sure why I am spending time on the actual engineering but I suppose, it matters.

When you look at it, the Churchill Bridgelayer design is just brilliant. A single ram, using a double action to launch and recover.

The next racket you will hear is ratting through the spares box to find something.. pretty damn sure I have something just the ticket in there. :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Quote from: buzzbomb on October 29, 2019, 10:38:54 PM
Not really sure why I am spending time on the actual engineering but I suppose, it matters.

Because you just know someone will ask "How do you recover the bridge when you've finished using it?" ;D

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 29, 2019, 11:53:34 PM
Quote from: buzzbomb on October 29, 2019, 10:38:54 PM

Because you just know someone will ask "How do you recover the bridge when you've finished using it?" ;D

Plus, you want to play with it.
;)
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

buzzbomb

Ok, most of the plastic mangling is done
Couple of profile shots

Bit of bridge detail and launching arm

oooh look.. chain drive ??? (worth a try I thought Guy)

Sans Bridge

Bridge in deployment mode.

There are a million engineering reasons why this method would probably not work. Still theoretically it sort of kinda works
Going to display with the bridge in place so a bit moot really.

Got a real Panther cupola coming, the M113 version does not look right.
Next to the paint shop

zenrat

Chain looks a bit undersize to me.  But you have to go with what you have so you get a :thumbsup:

;D

Nice work on the sides of the bridge.

Fred

Old Wombat

NARSES2

I can't comment on the practicality of the mechanics but it looks neat enough  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on November 04, 2019, 02:40:11 AM
Chain looks a bit undersize to me.  But you have to go with what you have so you get a :thumbsup:

Fair call, it is the chain drive from the Takom Mk1 Tank.. I might use the other one and double up.
Really cannot use the other side as it would block the drivers vision even further.

This is the worst bit of practical whiffery, it has to be practical, well practicalish. :rolleyes:

zenrat

Quote from: buzzbomb on November 04, 2019, 02:46:01 PM
Quote from: zenrat on November 04, 2019, 02:40:11 AM

Fair call, it is the chain drive from the Takom Mk1 Tank.. I might use the other one and double up.
Really cannot use the other side as it would block the drivers vision even further.

This is the worst bit of practical whiffery, it has to be practical, well practicalish. :rolleyes:

If you have another one then putting a second chain and sprocket adjacent to the one there will look like duplex chain.

:thumbsup:
Fred

Captain Canada

Nice work ! Love the profile shots. Lots of bits in this build eh ?!

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dumaniac

Great build - even if I only build Luftwaffe 46

buzzbomb

Remember this... finally, finally pulled this off the shelf to finish it. Well, to  redo a lot of it an finish it.
Redid all the launch gear to something that vaguely resembles workable

After the paint shop

Talk about a zombie Thread.. this has been going for nigh on 12 months.. off and on. Mostly off.